_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

Post by Bill deWind » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have a Linux 1.2.8 server at work that has developed this problem after
a power outage this week. The power was out for a prolonged period of time and
the UPS ran out of juice. When the machine came back up online, it produces the
error message "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory" when
you try to do a "w" or when you open an xterm in openwindows. The /var/adm/utmp
file is still there as is its symbolic link from /etc/utmp -> /var/adm/utmp. I
had one other machine do this once before, but I reinstalled Linux before I had
a chance to track down the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill deWindt
Systems Administrator
Hampden-Sydney College in VA

Post by Dieter Stueke » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: error message "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory" when

I think your problem is, that the utmp file drifted around again
and ended up in /var/run/utmp now.
Also  /var/adm does not exist anymore.  It moved to /var/log now.

The current symlink forest seems to look like:

/var/log/wtmp (file)
/var/run/utmp (file)

/etc/utmp -> /var/run/utmp
/etc/wtmp -> /var/run/wtmp

/usr/adm -> /var/adm
/var/adm -> /var/log
/var/log/utmp -> /var/run/utmp

All the symlinks should help older binaries to find their utmp.
Newer binaries should have compiled-in the new path as defined by utmp.h

I found the following note in libc-changelog:

        * <paths.h> (_PATH_UTMP); changed from /var/adm/utmp to
          /var/run/utmp.
          (_PATH_WTMP): changed from /var/adm/wtmp to /var/log/wtmp.
          (_PATH_LASTLOG): changed from /var/adm/lastlog to
          /var/log/lastlog.

          The transition procedure is like this:

            1. If /var/log doesn't exist,

                cd /var; mv adm log; ln -s /var/log adm
                cd /var/log; mv utmp /var/run; ln -s /var/run/utmp .

            2. If /var/log exists,

                cd /var; mv adm/* log; rm -rf adm; ln -s /var/log adm
                cd /var/log; mv utmp /var/run; ln -s /var/run/utmp .

          You have to modify the rc scripts and re-symlink
          /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp accordingly.

Regards, Dieter.
--
Dieter Stueken, Inst. f. Kernphysik, WWU-Muenster

        http://qgp.uni-muenster.de/~stueken

1. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

I have tried to install linux/slackware on my 486DX33 with
4M memory. .
Everything goes well but I am always asked
for password when I reboot after installation.
I see the following message:

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
(several lines of the same message)

Welcome to Linux 0.99.15.
(none) login:

I use bare and colrlite as boot and root disks.
I have made a 100M partition /dev/hda2 for filesystem
and a 10M swap partition.
There are no error or warning message during the installations.
I have also tried the procedure described in LOWMEM.TXT.

Can anybody help me ?  p

Thank you in advance.

H.Chen

2. Problem running mouse while in XFree

3. execution at login?

4. _setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

5. Problems with Serial Connection - Sealevel

6. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

7. linux parition question

8. "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory"??

9. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory - Help!

10. _setutent: Can't open utmp: No such file or directory

11. _STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

12. Error: _setutent: Can't open utmp file: ... ???