RH 7.1 new install hangs on ctrl-alt-del shutdown

RH 7.1 new install hangs on ctrl-alt-del shutdown

Post by Bruce Feis » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:32:01

I just installed RedHat 7.1 on a 900 mhz Duron cpu, VIA chipset
motherboard.  I can't log on, but that's a separate issue that I'm
dealing with in another thread.  After I give up on logging on and try
to reboot into single-user mode with a ctrl-alt-delete, the system hangs
after partially shutting down.  To be more specific, I get the following
messages (among others):

INIT: Switching to runlevel 6
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
... (multiple shutdown messages deleted)
Flushing all chains:
Removing user defined chains:
Resetting built-in chains to the default ACCEPT policy:
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

And then it hangs.  I've left it for nearly a day to see if anything
would time out and the shutdown would continue; no luck.

Any ideas?