PPP Doesn't wait anymore on init

Post by Bob Slaught » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:47:24

Well, I did some RPM updates, and now my ppp0 on init doesn't wait to
complete the connection before the init processes move on (It used
to). I need it to wait, because I have fetchmail later in the boot,
and unpredictable results occur if ppp0 isn't up and connected when
that script runs. I'm using Mandrake 7.1.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should look so the ppp0 start
script waits to connect before OK'ong?

If you want to send email, use the address in the .sig; I haven't
figured out how to fix the one in the news header yet.
--

North Georgia Modurail: http://www.mindspring.net/~rslau/ngm/

1. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

I have a communications server that's been giving us fits for a few
months now.  I can't seem to locate the problem.  I've been searching
DejaNews for analogous problem, but it looks like it's either something
I'm doing wrong, or I can't find it from the keywords I'm using.

    The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
overnight.

    So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.

    It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dynasty.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

2. creating 'ar' archives ?

3. ppp-up doesn't work anymore

4. PS2 Mouse Support at install?

5. System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

6. Unix socket programming: send... failed

7. PPP doesn't work under 2.0.26 anymore :-(

8. Z modem in telnet session?!?

9. PPP doesn't work anymore

10. How to 'WAIT' in ppp ppp-on-dialer script?

11. xawtv doesn't work anymore: can't open /dev/video0: No such device

12. Red Hat 7.1's standard vim doesn't include cmdline_hist feature anymore

13. svgalib's 3d demo doesn't work anymore