Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)

Thanks,
KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Post by Jerry Gardn » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)

Read them both and make up your own mind.

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

> >Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)

> Read them both and make up your own mind.

> --
> Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve

Well, Jerry, that was helpful -- NOT!!!
I have read (a couple of issues) them and they both seem good. I'm
looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Now go play nice with yourself and if you don't have anything
constructive to say then keep you're friggin' mouth closed.

KAC
--

Post by Dustin Purye » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
>period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
>magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Personally, I read Linux Journal. It has some good information.
However, you would be hard pressed to find information in the magazine
that cannot be found in one of the million online magazines.

---
Dustin Puryear

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I have read (a couple of issues) them and they both seem good. I'm
> looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
> period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
> magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Linux Magazine is very new -- less than half a year old, I think, though I
don't know precisely how many issues have been published.  I've only seen
one (it doesn't get nearly as good distribution as LJ).

--
Rod Smith

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

Post by John D » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>: > >Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)
>: >
>: > Read them both and make up your own mind.
>:
>: Well, Jerry, that was helpful -- NOT!!!

>I thought it was an appropriate answer. Neither magazine is
>objectively better; maybe one is better w.r.t. to another based
>on certain criteria, but even those are subjective judgments.
>No one here can read your mind, so how could he decide
>which was better for you. It's like asking, "Which is better,
>'The Matrix' or '2001: A Space Odyssey'?". It's for you to
>decide. (or do you judge movies based on what the critics say?)

Good answer. hehe.

Here is what I always do without paying a dime (maybe 33cents).. oh
well I don't feel like telling my cheapskate tricks...

Post by Scott Lanni » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

> >looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
> >period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
> >magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

> Personally, I read Linux Journal. It has some good information.
> However, you would be hard pressed to find information in the magazine
> that cannot be found in one of the million online magazines.

> ---
> Dustin Puryear

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.

Best Wishes,
KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> : > >Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)
> : >
> : > Read them both and make up your own mind.
> :
> : Well, Jerry, that was helpful -- NOT!!!

> I thought it was an appropriate answer. Neither magazine is
> objectively better; maybe one is better w.r.t. to another based
> on certain criteria, but even those are subjective judgments.
> No one here can read your mind, so how could he decide
> which was better for you. It's like asking, "Which is better,
> 'The Matrix' or '2001: A Space Odyssey'?". It's for you to
> decide. (or do you judge movies based on what the critics say?)

> --

> "How can we make our teaching so potent in the motional life of man,
> that its influence should withstand the pressure of the elemental
> psychic forces in the individual?" --Albert Einstein

BZZZT. Wrong. I want to hear your _subjective_ opinion. There is no
unbiased objective point of view. Nothing lives in a vacuum.

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Dustin Purye » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>which was better for you. It's like asking, "Which is better,
>'The Matrix' or '2001: A Space Odyssey'?". It's for you to

It's an accepted fact that 2001 is better the The Matrix. :)

---
Dustin Puryear

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Carl Fi » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

LINUX JOURNAL reads more like a technical journal.  The articles are
written (mostly) by computer professionals for other computer
professionals.

LINUX MAGAZINE is more like a general circulation magazine.  More
attention seems to be given to the writing style, which uses fewer
undefined technical terms.  They have more no-computer-content
articles like the one in the current issue about a Red Hat promotion,
"Geek Week".  LJ has case studies of actual Linux usage.

I read them both, but I'd give up LINUX MAGAZINE first.  I really
don't care about how the computer geeks reacted to their snorkeling
trip being canceled.  OTOH, LM has better interviews.
--

"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
        -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Chris Mahmoo » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> There is no
> unbiased objective point of view.

If there's no unbiased, objective point of view, then how can you
claim that there is no unbiased, objective point of view.  Either your
claim is false, or it contradicts itself.  The good news is that you
get to pick which one it is!
-ckm

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

> LINUX JOURNAL reads more like a technical journal.  The articles are
> written (mostly) by computer professionals for other computer
> professionals.

> LINUX MAGAZINE is more like a general circulation magazine.  More
> attention seems to be given to the writing style, which uses fewer
> undefined technical terms.  They have more no-computer-content
> articles like the one in the current issue about a Red Hat promotion,
> "Geek Week".  LJ has case studies of actual Linux usage.

> I read them both, but I'd give up LINUX MAGAZINE first.  I really
> don't care about how the computer geeks reacted to their snorkeling
> trip being canceled.  OTOH, LM has better interviews.
> --

> "This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
>    -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

Thanks Carl!

--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

> > There is no
> > unbiased objective point of view.
> If there's no unbiased, objective point of view, then how can you
> claim that there is no unbiased, objective point of view.  Either your
> claim is false, or it contradicts itself.  The good news is that you
> get to pick which one it is!
> -ckm

<grin>
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

> >which was better for you. It's like asking, "Which is better,
> >'The Matrix' or '2001: A Space Odyssey'?". It's for you to

> It's an accepted fact that 2001 is better the The Matrix. :)

> ---
> Dustin Puryear

Definitely!