"more" question

Post by David Djajaput » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:30:37

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is SuSE specific but I'm using a SuSE box I
inherited from the previous guy at work and I cannot use the "more"
command on it.

If I type: more mytextfile

it gives me:

more: unknown option "--"
usage: more [-dflpcsu] [+linenum | +/pattern] name1 name2 ...

The command is not aliased to anything else and I have tried using
"\more" and getting the same output. What is going on here and how
should I use "more" there?

Thanks a bunch,

David

"more" question

Post by Herb Stei » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:21:32

Quote:> Hi there,

> I'm not sure if this is SuSE specific but I'm using a SuSE box I
> inherited from the previous guy at work and I cannot use the "more"
> command on it.

> If I type: more mytextfile

> it gives me:

> more: unknown option "--"
> usage: more [-dflpcsu] [+linenum | +/pattern] name1 name2 ...

> The command is not aliased to anything else and I have tried using
> "\more" and getting the same output. What is going on here and how
> should I use "more" there?

> Thanks a bunch,

> David

Most (all?) implementations of more provide for a MORE environment
variable that can be set. Setting it incorrectly can cause that kind of
problem. Try "echo $MORE" at a shell prompt to see.
--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

"more" question

Post by snowfa » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:56:12

>> I'm not sure if this is SuSE specific but I'm using a SuSE box I
>> inherited from the previous guy at work and I cannot use the "more"
>> command on it.

At least one distro I test-drove recently
preferred the "less" command over "more."
Sorry, but I can't remember if that was
SuSE or not . . . but would you be willing
to try "less?"

I actually like "less" better because
it'll let you back up through a file you're
reading.

HTH
MP