Color icons in X-windows?

Post by M Sweg » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

        I've been reading O-Reillys book on Xlib Programming. One
thing I've noticed is that it doesn't explain how to do colorized
icons that would be used in a window minimize or used as a button,
or as an icon similar to a file manager.

        True I can create a bitmap using Xwindow calls  which is
just black or white, and I can create pixmaps using Xwindow calls
using pixmaps, but it how do I create colorized pixmaps so
that it can be used in icons. Currently pixmaps only display shades
of grey. Is there some add-on feature or call that I don't know
about that does this? I'm using Release 5 of Xwindows. Do I need
Release 6 to do this? What about some free software package?
I doubt if it is done using the Xwindow call that creates images.

        Thanks for any info that you can provide.

--
        Mike,

Color icons in X-windows?

Post by Ken L » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

|>   I've been reading O-Reillys book on Xlib Programming. One
|> thing I've noticed is that it doesn't explain how to do colorized
|> icons that would be used in a window minimize or used as a button,
|> or as an icon similar to a file manager.

See subject 71 in the comp.windows.x FAQ.
My web site has pointers to the various X programming FAQs.

--
Ken Lee, X Window System Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

1. Color icons in X-windows?

|>   I've been reading O-Reillys book on Xlib Programming. One
|> thing I've noticed is that it doesn't explain how to do colorized
|> icons that would be used in a window minimize or used as a button,
|> or as an icon similar to a file manager.

See subject 71 in the comp.windows.x FAQ.
My web site has pointers to the various X programming FAQs.

--
Ken Lee, X Window System Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

2. Running Linux on Evolution Dual6

4. Changing Prompt in Posix Shell

5. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

6. interfacing a stream to a file descriptor

7. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

8. Samba problems - help please!

9. How do I put icons in X-windows?

10. Program icons vanished under the X-windows

11. Putting ICONS on X-Windows Desktop

12. Mwm & Color Icon Windows on Solaris???

13. fvwm-0.93 X-11 Window Manager gets color icons