looking to buy a computer that *will* run linux :-)

looking to buy a computer that *will* run linux :-)

Post by Jim A. Fette » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Found this in the computer shopper - please let me know if
there are any hardware incompatibilities w/linux...

Intel Premiere/PCI II Motherboard
Pentium P90 chip
AMI BIOS
Intel Neptune 2 chip set
2 PCI slots   4 16-bit ISA  1 shared ISA/PCI slot
256K cache
12M RAM
2  16550 Serial ports
IECP/EPP Parallel
PCI Mode 3
STB PowerGraph 64 PCI with S3 Trio 64 chipset
2M VRAM

Jim

1. which computer to buy for running linux - here are some choices..

i am finally in a position to buy a computer for the purpose of
running linux and X windows.  i have been looking around and found
these offered by local companies (salt lake city, utah).  i'm trying
to decided between the two and i'd appreciate any input regarding
their suitability and cost.

thanks for your time.

1) IMB 486 DX4-75

cost = $1463.00 or w/ 4X CD $1547.00

Full Tower System
540 MB HD
8 MB RAM
GVC FAX/Modem w/ Rockwell Chipset
2X CD (IDE)
14" .28 NI monitor
101 Keyboard, Mouse
Motherboard = VLB
Full VESA BUS
Cyrus Logic video card w/ 1 MB VRAM

2) 486 DX4-100 (put together by a small company in town)

cost = $1506.00

Mini Tower System
420-520 MB HD
8 MB RAM
4X CD (IDE)
14" .28 NI monitor
101 Keyboard, mouse
Motherboard = VLB
Full VESA BUS
Trident video card w/ 1 MB VRAM

3) 486 DX2-80 (put together by same company)

cost = $1442.00

same configuration as above but with slower chip

the person i dealt with regarding the IBM system (#1) sells these same
systems to some company in town (forget the name) that uses them to
run UNIX so he knows they work well for that sort of higher end OS.

the other guy says everything should be fine with his systems since
they are all UNIX approved parts and he has all the drivers for a UNIX
system (not that that matters for me..)

anyway, are these prices too high?  i haven't seen too many catalog
prices but i thought these seemed reasonable.  if you know of a better
deal i'd like to hear about it.  i don't really want a mulitmedia
system and the only reason i'm getting a CD at all is to use for
installing LINUX.

ciao,

pjf

2. BIG PROBLEM !!! Who can solve it !!!

3. HELP required --- want to buy a computer for running LINUX

4. compile error 2.1.0

5. install linux on old computer or buy pre-installed new computer?

6. remove pages from the LRU in __free_pages_ok()

7. To buy a Pc or to buy a Mac to run Linux

8. differences between Linux versions?

9. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

10. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

11. I tried LINUX :-) :-)

12. ISDN/HiSax runs with Linux/Alpha :-)

13. T200 : did not get, what i bought :-)