Crypto filesystem?

Post by Trappe » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Fellow Linuxers:

ISTR hearing about an encrypted filesystem for Linux.  Anyone know what the
software is called and where I can find it?

-Scott

m i l o r o s "at" m i t o k o r "dot" c o m

Crypto filesystem?

Post by Steffen Klu » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>ISTR hearing about an encrypted filesystem for Linux.  Anyone know what the
>software is called and where I can find it?

I played around with cfs a few years ago. Don't know whether it
is still developed/maintained. At that time it had a grave
weakness that it only provided cryptographic protection while it
was "unattached", i.e. not in use. As soon as the rightful owner
started using it the contents where only protected by normal
filesystem permissions and an obscured directory name. That
might have changed in the meantime. Go search for cfs...

Cheers
Steffen.

--

Fujitsu Australia Ltd
--

Crypto filesystem?

Post by jik- » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Fellow Linuxers:

> ISTR hearing about an encrypted filesystem for Linux.  Anyone know what the
> software is called and where I can find it?

I think it was posted at freshmeat

Crypto filesystem?

Post by <barber.. » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Fellow Linuxers:

> ISTR hearing about an encrypted filesystem for Linux.  Anyone know what
the
> software is called and where I can find it?

> -Scott

> m i l o r o s "at" m i t o k o r "dot" c o m

tere a some solution cfs (Crypto File System:the one i use), tcfs (for
Transparent CFS), also a steganograpic FS . Te two first one can be found
at replay.com te last one ....

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Problems regarding crypto filesystem after kernel recompilation

Dear Linux experts,

Why oh why didn't I observe the old "never touch a running system" rule?
Now I have apparently done something stupid and recompiled a SuSE 2.4.10
Kernel with crypto filesystem options.

I allready had the standard SuSE Kernel (2.4.10-4GB) running like a
charm, but I thought it was a bit too "fat", loaded with lots of stuff I
never need (like USB support etc.)

My /home Partition was encrypted using the loop0 device and twofish
algorithm.

I have now set the compile options

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_CIPHER_TWOFISH=y

directly into the kernel, since I need it all the time anyhow.

However after a reboot I cannto access my /home partition any more. When
I try to mount it manually using "mount -t ext3 /dev/loop0 /home" I get
an

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
or too many mounted file systems

error message. What did I do wrong? I do hope there is a non-destructive
way to get access to my /home partition again!

I don't dare issuing a "losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0 /dev/hdb5" command,
since it says all data on /dev/hdb5 will be lost.

Any help eagerly awaited and welcome!

Cheers

Jens

2. NFS problem

3. crypto filesystem?

4. Eicon X.25 card and Linux ?

5. crypto filesystem support??

6. messages from named

7. Large and fast Crypto Filesystem recommendations?

8. How to close OPENED unused sockets?

9. crypto filesystem

10. migrating SuSE crypto fs to crypto api?

11. Crypto API/filesystems

12. restore mksysb with jfs2 filesystem to jfs filesystem