Linux running MS-WIN and MS-DOS (was Re: Linux)

Linux running MS-WIN and MS-DOS (was Re: Linux)

Post by Nick Kralevi » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm sorry Justin, but I don't have an answer to you.  I try to avoid
MS software whenever possible.  However, I have added comp.os.linux.misc
to the newsgroup line, in the hopes that someone there will be able
to answer your question.  How about it, Linux folks?  :)

-- Nick Kralevich

Post by Christopher P. Phillip » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'm sorry Justin, but I don't have an answer to you.  I try to avoid
> MS software whenever possible.  However, I have added comp.os.linux.misc
> to the newsgroup line, in the hopes that someone there will be able
> to answer your question.  How about it, Linux folks?  :)

> -- Nick Kralevich

> >How fast do Windows and Dos apps run under Linux? (On a P75 with 16 Meg)
> >Faster or slower than their native enviroments? Thanks for any info.

> >--

> >Justin Malinosky

I was in a wine newsgroup that said some programs ran "faster" but were
buggy ( ie. they did not recognize fonts, callouts, etc...)

--
Christopher P. Phillips
General Manager, WKNC-FM

Post by Rich Wils » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: >How fast do Windows and Dos apps run under Linux? (On a P75 with 16 Meg)
: >Faster or slower than their native enviroments? Thanks for any info.
: >
: >--
: >
: >Justin Malinosky

Partial answer:

DOS applications CAN run faster.  A friend wrote a simple program which
displayed a menu by making a system call for every character.  Under
DOS you could see the screen draw in about 1/4 second or so.
Under linux/dosemu, it was noticably faster.

Richard Wilson                                                        N7WWU

Lake Stevens Instrument Division                        Phone: 206-335-2245
8600 Soper Hill Road                                      FAX: 206-335-2828
Everett, WA 98205 USA
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Thoreau

Post by Mark Sp » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'm sorry Justin, but I don't have an answer to you.  I try to avoid
> MS software whenever possible.  However, I have added comp.os.linux.misc
> to the newsgroup line, in the hopes that someone there will be able
> to answer your question.  How about it, Linux folks?  :)
> -- Nick Kralevich

> >How fast do Windows and Dos apps run under Linux? (On a P75 with 16 Meg)
> >Faster or slower than their native enviroments? Thanks for any info.

> >--

> >Justin Malinosky

Using dosemu under linux does only marginally slow dos down, but you gain multitasking. Windows apps do not run under linux.

1. Did you get swap between MS-WIN and Linux working?

I have C drive of 120MEG. I fomrat it into 108 MEG of C:
logical drive and 12 MEG of logical D: drive under DOS.
I indtalled Linux+X (UMSDOS) and MS-Win 3.1 on the C:
drive and use D: drive as a swap for MS-Win 3.1.
I followed the mini-HowTo trying to make the D: drive
to be the swap for both MS-Win 3.1 and Linux. The
result is: I can run Linux and X. But after I exit
Linux, the DOS is no longer able to recognize the
D: drive. I have to (under DOS using fdisk)
1. remove the 12 MEG partition.
2. add the 12 MEG partion agian and neme it D: again.
3. format it using DOS 'format' command.

This is really boring. Did you face the same problem?
How did you solve it?

A return mail would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

-- shihhua

2. Q: any portables w/ scsi support?

3. linux <-> ms-win

4. database modeling tool for MySQL

5. Did you get swap between MS-WIN and Linux working?

6. ISA modem setup

7. ms-windows under linux ms-dos emulation ?

8. ARNS on 1.3 kernel?

9. MS Word runs malicious e-mail scripts - More reasons to run Linux over that other OS.

10. Summary: SCSI and IDE working together (MS-DOS/Win & Linux)

11. Linux, MS-DOS, OS/2 and Win NT on same PC???

12. Clueless: MS-DOS/Win95 won't boot; DR-DOS, Linux, OS/2 will...

13. ! Running MS-DOS programs on Linux : capabilities ?