Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by Mark Peders » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 14:04:57

I'd like to hear of anyone's experience with using a Linux box in a LAN
which includes PC's running Windows, and maybe Macs. A friend of mine
is looking at setting up such a LAN, using the Linux box as the
internet gateway and as the mail/news server. The LAN would use an
ethernet, but I don't know what software would be used on the Windows
boxes, or the Macs. I've heard that getting Windows and Macs talking to
each other in a LAN is difficult/impossible, but that's not really a
question for this group.

How stable are the ethernet drivers in Linux? I've heard people
complain about doing networking under SCO because of Intel's weird
architecture requiring expert knowledge to get things working. Is the
Linux experience similar?

I haven't seen any horror ethernet stories here yet, but I don't know
if I can assume this means success, or that no one has been trying it
(I hope it means the former).

Cheers,

Mark

University of Queensland   |   phone : +61 07 365 1194
           "FTP all day, compile all night - Linux!"

Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by David Edwar » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 05:13:28

: I'd like to hear of anyone's experience with using a Linux box in a LAN
: which includes PC's running Windows, and maybe Macs. A friend of mine
: is looking at setting up such a LAN, using the Linux box as the
: internet gateway and as the mail/news server. The LAN would use an
: ethernet, but I don't know what software would be used on the Windows
: boxes, or the Macs. I've heard that getting Windows and Macs talking to
: each other in a LAN is difficult/impossible, but that's not really a
: question for this group.
Linux boxen will happily live on a hetrogenious LAN... Mine has been
sharing the physical ethernet in my office with Novell for over a year
now, with no major problems... (They don't talk to each other, but that's
a different problem :) ) If you want Mac/Windows/Linux to be able to SHARE
files, that's a TOTALLY different problem. For just Linux and Windows,
SAMBA and the MS Win4WG networking stuff seems to work reasonably well,
and Novell with NFS and Mac namespace loaded works like a dream. (Well,
as much so as NFS ever does... call it a SLOW dream... :) )

: How stable are the ethernet drivers in Linux? I've heard people
: complain about doing networking under SCO because of Intel's weird
: architecture requiring expert knowledge to get things working. Is the
: Linux experience similar?
Linux networking is fairly straightforward... it can be done without too
much trouble directly from the Slackware config option, (netconfig from
the UNIX command line, I think...). I installed Slackware, and it worked
straight out of the box with no problems.

                                Later!
                                David
David Edwards   ||  I will not do it, in my car, I will not speak ||
U of MO, Rolla  || for UMR.  I would not, could not in a plane, I ||

                || speak for UMR, I will not do it, Sam you are.  ||

Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by Roger Wei » Thu, 08 Dec 1994 14:38:25

>SAMBA and the MS Win4WG networking stuff seems to work reasonably well,

What exactly is SAMBA? I am running a WFW network and would
like to tie my Linux machine in. Would I be able to share
files off of my Linux box?
Thanks

--
Mercenary programmers creed: Will program for money, no job to small
Real programmers use: COPY CON PROGRAM.COM

Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by Lester Hightow » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 12:47:46

Some of you guys that have Linux running in a heterogenious lan, help
me out if you don't mind.  I want to do the following.

I am a high school CS teacher.  I setup a linux box in my lab about 6
months ago and have it woking like a dream:-).  My linux box slips
onto the next through a 28.8 modem and I get GREAT 115,200 all the time.
Now I want to bring some of my MSWFW machines in so that they might run
mosaic/netscape, etc.  How can I set this up?

I assume that somehow the linux box will be my gateway, but what sort
of routing concerns do I have?

Does anyone have this setup working?  Is it possible?  I've  been trying
for about 2 months now woth VERY LITTLE success!

If I get this working I WILL post a FAQ about it.

Any and all help will be appreciated,
Lester Hightower

Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by Andreas Hel » Fri, 09 Dec 1994 07:42:15

[...]

If you use a 1.0.9 kernel you can expect many networking problems between
DOS computers and Linux. 1.1.49 and 1.1.66 work well for me. Some of the 1.1
kernels have severe problems with some hardware. 1.1.44 destroys partition
tables on Quantum IDE harddrives.

What is still missing is software to communicate with Novell netware
servers. Samba can be used to build a Linux server which can be accessed by
Windows networking, or you could use TCP/IP for DOS and Macs.

My horror story would be a PC with NE2000 clone, where the mitsumi cdrom
driver thought that the ne2000 card was a cdrom interface. The resulting
chaos crashed a complete local network with DOS machines accessing a Novell
netware server. This problem was fixed by defining the correct IO adresses
in the kernel source header files. (giving paramters with LILO would be
another option). In general the kernel automatically dedects the hardware
and works without human intervention. But the multi purpose kernels on
installation disks are critical because they have increased chances of
misdetection and the resulting problems.
Using Linux is not the only method to mess up a network. A new computer
showed very similar behaviour with a NE2000 clone and afterwards with a
original Novell NE2000 card. If the computer is on the net but no network
driver is loaded, than it interferes with all DOS computers on the network
and probably degrades the performance of Macs and Linux machines.

Andreas
-
* Andreas Helke, Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
**                      Im Neuenheimer Feld 230, 69122 Heidelberg, Germany
***  orion.mgen.uni-heidelberg.de has a ftp server with Unix tools for DOS
****   and with the HFM V. 4.03 DOS file manager and archive program shell

Linux in a hetrogeneous LAN??

Post by Russell Nels » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 00:57:01

   >SAMBA and the MS Win4WG networking stuff seems to work reasonably well,

   What exactly is SAMBA? I am running a WFW network and would
   like to tie my Linux machine in. Would I be able to share
   files off of my Linux box?

Samba is a WFWG server for Linux.  See comp.protocols.smb for more info.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

1. determine throughput from LAN to Internet, Durchsatz vom LAN ins Internet berechnen

Hi,

Does anyone have a program (or a link to a program) which determines
(under LINUX) how much a single computer in a network
downloads/uploads to/from the intenet?
In particular:
I have a linux-router connected to the internet (ppp0) and also
connected to a local LAN(ethX). Now I want to know, which of the Nodes
(connected to the internal LAN) consume how much throughput (in MB or
KB) to the Internet (extern WAN). Upload and download. Until now all
is done via 'iptables', working (masquerading).

THX for any help.

Hallo,

Kennt jemand ein Programm (oder den Link zu einem Programm) welches
unter LINUX feststellt, welcher lokale Rechner wie viel vom Internet
ladet/uplodaet?
Genau gesagt:
Ich habe einen LUNUX-router, welcher zum Internet (ppp0) als auch zum
internen LAN (eht0) verbunden ist. Jetzt m?chte ich wissen, wie viel
jeder einzelne Rechner im LAN vom Internet ladet bzw. wie viel jeder
einzelne Rechner ins Internet uploadet. Bis jetz funktioniert alles
ber die IPTABLES und es funktioniert (MASQUERADING).

Danke fr jede Hilfe.

Cheers, Kuge

2. Web Servers shipped in 1995

3. questions about setting up Linux in a hetrogeneous net

4. Linux2.0: can not login, home directory not found!

5. IP-Forwarding PPP-LAN but not LAN-LAN

6. set-userid bit on a file

7. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

8. Solaris 7 x86, PCI modem question.

9. NIS in Hetrogeneous environments

10. Recommendation for software to manage hetrogeneous UNIX network

11. How to configure Linux for a LAN of NT machines + 3COM 3C891 LAN Modem

12. Need help on Linux setup LAN within LAN

13. Configuring a linux router on LAN-LAN