please help mail idiot

Post by Bob van der Poe » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Okay, I admit it. I don't understand unix mail. I have been quite happy
using netscape for mail on a dialup ppp link. I tell it to send/get
messages and then I disconnect and read the stuff.

However, I have some robots which I'd like to use to attempt to control
the amount of spam I'm receiving (with this message it'll increment once
again). However, these programs don't understand netscape mail and
insist on using 'mail'. All that mail does is to deliver the message to
the mail queue.

So, now that I have a message in the queue, how do I get it off my
machine and out into the real world? I suspect it has something to do
with sendmail, but trying to get that to work from the man page is
pretty intimidating.

I guess that once I get this working I could use all the different mail
programs (ie, tin, mail, etc) as an alternate to netscape. I also suspect
that whatever the secret sendmail incantation is, I can have this as part
of my ip-up script? I'm not sure how I can ensure that I don't disconnect
during the uploading, but I'm not at the point yet....

--
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel

/___/_(_) /_)         http://www2.awinc.com/users/bvdpoel

please help mail idiot

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Okay, I admit it. I don't understand unix mail. I have been quite happy
> using netscape for mail on a dialup ppp link. I tell it to send/get
> messages and then I disconnect and read the stuff.

> However, I have some robots which I'd like to use to attempt to control
> the amount of spam I'm receiving (with this message it'll increment once
> again). However, these programs don't understand netscape mail and
> insist on using 'mail'. All that mail does is to deliver the message to
> the mail queue.

> So, now that I have a message in the queue, how do I get it off my
> machine and out into the real world? I suspect it has something to do
> with sendmail, but trying to get that to work from the man page is
> pretty intimidating.

Heh... agreed about sendmail.  Luckily, you don't really need to work with
it directly.  Sendmail is the mail equivalent of a router - you point your
mail programs at sendmail, and then sendmail handles all the details of
routing your mail.  The other programs (like 'mail') instead talk to
sendmail for you.

Quote:> I guess that once I get this working I could use all the different mail
> programs (ie, tin, mail, etc) as an alternate to netscape. I also suspect
> that whatever the secret sendmail incantation is, I can have this as part
> of my ip-up script? I'm not sure how I can ensure that I don't disconnect
> during the uploading, but I'm not at the point yet....

'sendmail -q' will tell sendmail to flush out the mail queue, or it will do
it on it's own periodically (typically every hour, or every fif*
minutes).   'man sendmail' for more details.  Don't expect to understand
all of it, certainly not at once - sendmail is a program to be reckoned
with.

You would have the same problems with any other mail program, but some nice
ones to try are pine, elm, and mutt (mutt is on sunsite, not in most
distributions) .  They all have the advantage of being much smaller and
faster than netscape, and will work in text-only mode.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!