Newbie - odd problem with Gnome AND KDE

Post by Kevin C. Redd » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:15:43

Hey all: I've found a very annoying problem with both KDE, and Gnome.
Since it affects both, I wonder if it's not a *feature*.

The problem comes, in typing the ', and " key. If I type it once,
nothing shows up, but anything afterwards is accented? Like typing "a,
comes out as ?  To use the keys, I have to type them twice.

Is this a normal feature of Gnome and KDE? I've seen it in *both*
enviroments. I've just installed gnome 1.2 (or what ever the newest
version is), and still I get that problem. This affects both the
console, and graphic programs. (Like typing in a command line window
(console), and gnome's text editor (graphic), But this doesn't show up
on a pure command line enviroment.

Is there a way to turn this off? Since it affects even word
processors, it makes it impossible to type effectively. Anyone know
what it's for? I have no idea what to look for in the man pages, or
other help screens.

Newbie - odd problem with Gnome AND KDE

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:19:53

Quote:> Hey all: I've found a very annoying problem with both KDE, and Gnome.
> Since it affects both, I wonder if it's not a *feature*.

It's a feature of the X Window System, so it affects all desktops and
other applications

Quote:> The problem comes, in typing the ', and " key. If I type it once,
> nothing shows up, but anything afterwards is accented? Like typing "a,
> comes out as ?  To use the keys, I have to type them twice.

This is very useful to us non-americans who like to use characters like
?? in our native languages.

Quote:> Is there a way to turn this off?

Add (or uncomment) the line
Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
in the keyboard section of your /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file

--
        Markku Kolkka

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:14:07

Quote:> Hey all: I've found a very annoying problem with both KDE, and Gnome.

No it isn't a problem. It's YOUR design. I don't have X set up that
way.

[snip description of accenting via deadkeys]

Quote:> Is there a way to turn this off? Since it affects even word

I hate it too. I turn it off. When you get desperate enough to want to
find out how to turn it off, you will find out. Until then you aren't
even trying.

Quote:> processors, it makes it impossible to type effectively. Anyone know
> what it's for? I have no idea what to look for in the man pages, or
> other help screens.

man X, for X = X. Well, let's give you a clue:

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

And these are what I have.

    Xkbkeycodes "xfree86"
    XkbTypes    "default"
    XkbCompat   "default"
    XkbSymbols  "en_US(pc101)+es"
    XkbGeometry "pc"
    XkbLayout   "es"
    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"

Now I really should not'uv shown you that.

Peter

1. Newbie problem: how do I get 'startx' to point to KDE/Gnome automatically?

Sorry for this question but I have been looking at this one for ages.
The distribution is SuSE, YaST offers me the chance to set the default
window-manager for all new user accounts, but I have an existing one
that I would like to point at kde (no way am I going to delete it and
recreate it!!)
In addition, I have GNOME installed and wish to set another user to go
into Gnome automatically.  Ummm - what is the window manager for Gnome
called?
Going to the home-directory of a kde-using account and looking for kde
with grep gets me nowhere
Real newbie stuff, but . . .
Another unrelated problem is: my (cheap and cheerful) ISP loses the
Newsgroups at least once a day at the moment.   Please mail me as well.

Thanks

Andrew Williams

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://home.germany.net/101/69082/samba.html

2. Time restriction

3. Font problem (?) in X/KDE/GNOME (newbie)

4. network gateway

5. Newbie question - keyboard and mouse won't work in KDE or Gnome

6. 'kill' a process?

7. Cannot change from KDE to Gnome desktop...newbie help please...

8. hostname.le0 and hostname.hme0

9. Odd problem with GNOME panel

10. Newbie: Gnome, KDE and themes questions

11. Choice for newbies/experts: KDE or GNOME

12. Useing both KDE and GNOME in RedHat 6 (newbie question)

13. (Newbie) Confusion over KDE/Gnome