Keyboard mapping and

Post by Mike Mccla » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:04:09

Howdy Jem,
    Well we've exceeded my expertise, I'm just a novice who's
been exploring the key mappings lately trying to get bash's
readline editing functions and an editor (lpe) to work like I
want.
    I noticed in the ash man page that both shells can use
/etc/profile and ~/.profile so anything done there would
be reflected in both shells.
    Is there any chance that ash is a link to bash?
'ls -l /bin/ash /bin/bash' will show same size if so.
    bash readline sources /etc/inputrc and/or ~/.inputrc to
do some keyboard remapping, but I don't think ash does.
    stty also does some mapping, 'stty -a' will show you what.
    The tools I've found for tracking down the mappings are:
1) stty's lnext function which is typically mapped to ^v or ^q,
    where ^==control.
2) dumpkeys especially the '-f' switch, but don't ignore the others
3) showkey -s -k -a all show different representations of the info
4) getkeycodes gives you another view of the scancode to keycode
    mapping.
5) bash's bind -d (for bash1) or -p (for bash2) will show bash
    mappings.
    I hope you'll share the answer when you find it.

I wish you luck,
MiKe

 NO> Nope, I wouldn't be surprised either :-) But it is there :-(

 NO> If I type "cat" and hit enter lo-and-behold POUND SYMBOLS. As soon as I
 NO> hit ctrl-c and return to the shell prompt I can't get the pound symbol.

 NO> I've tried 2 different shells (ash & bash) and the result is the same.

 NO> Jem

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31

1. Need DEC Keyboard, keyboard mappings?

Hello,
    I will be telnetting to various VAX/VMS boxes and need a DEC keyboard,
select, find, remove, do keys etc.  Do I have to remap the keys?  Is there a
terminal emulator out there that remaps the keys automatically?  Thanks for
any help.

-- David

2. r00t advisories

3. how to map keyboard keys to sun keyboard ?

4. W2K + RH6.2, Large disk boot problems

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Help with XF86 Linkkit

7. US ADB keyboard map?

8. support for hardware compression on 4mm tape 8GB

9. Keyboard mapping-HELP!!

10. mapping extended keyboard keys in vi/ksh

11. keyboard mapping

12. Does anybody has a keyboard map for WordPerfect?

13. Keyboard mappings with xterm/rxvt