Problems with 'home-built' bootdisks

Post by David Fetterma » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm having troubles getting a boot disk to work after following the
Bootdisk-HOWTO.  I'm using a 2.0.35 kernel, using LILO to boot, and have
a separate root filesystem disk.  LILO and the kernel seem to load fine,
but after hitting ENTER after changing disks to the gzip'd root fs
image, the kernel panics with the following:

[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12, FAT16, check=n, conv=b, uid=0, guid=0, umask=022,
bmap]
[me=0x59,cs=480,#5=217,fs=38224,fl=49760,ds=22704,de=20478,data=23984,
se=2450,ts=629539330,ls=2459,rc=0,fc=4294967295]
Transaction block size=512

This error happens almost immediately.  I'm able to boot the system with
a DOS boot disk, so I don't think the drive itself is the problem.  I'm
wondering if there's something I left out of the lilo.conf or if I am
missing something somewhere else...

Thanks,
Dave

Problems with 'home-built' bootdisks

Post by Marti » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Dave,
    I am uncertian how you made the boot disk and root disk, but it looks
like the root disk has a FAT filesystem on it.  Did you just copy the gzip'd
root image to the floppy ?
If that is the case, it will not work.  You need to write the image over the
top of the FAT filesystem.  I assume you have the program rawwrite.exe, and
have used it to make the boot disk.  If so, do the same thing with the root
image.  This process will overwrite the FAT filesystem and replace it with
the filesystem from the image.
If you do not have rawwrite, a search at www.redhat.com will point you to a
copy.  Assuming the root image is called root.gz do :-

    rawwrite

you willl be prompted for the name of the image file, type :-

    root.gz

You will be prompted for the destination drive, type :-

    a:

If you already have a working linux box, you can do the same with the
command :-

    cat root.gz > /dev/fd0

    Hope this helps,

            Martin

>I'm having troubles getting a boot disk to work after following the
>Bootdisk-HOWTO.  I'm using a 2.0.35 kernel, using LILO to boot, and have
>a separate root filesystem disk.  LILO and the kernel seem to load fine,
>but after hitting ENTER after changing disks to the gzip'd root fs
>image, the kernel panics with the following:

>[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12, FAT16, check=n, conv=b, uid=0, guid=0, umask=022,
>bmap]
>[me=0x59,cs=480,#5=217,fs=38224,fl=49760,ds=22704,de=20478,data=23984,
>se=2450,ts=629539330,ls=2459,rc=0,fc=4294967295]
>Transaction block size=512
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

>This error happens almost immediately.  I'm able to boot the system with
>a DOS boot disk, so I don't think the drive itself is the problem.  I'm
>wondering if there's something I left out of the lilo.conf or if I am
>missing something somewhere else...

>Thanks,
>Dave

Problems with 'home-built' bootdisks

Post by David Fetterma » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Martin,
Thanks for the help.  I tried the 'cat root.gz > /dev/fd0' method and
the error repeated.  My original effort consisted of:

made a ext2 fs on a zero'd file
mounted via loopback
populated fs
umount'd fs
gzip'd fs file to rootfs.gz
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
dd if=rootfs.gz of=/dev/fd0H1440 bs=1k(tried 512 too) seek=0(tried with
& w/o)
dd says: "1347+1 records in"
         "1347+1 records out"

I've noticed I get the same error when trying to mount /dev/fd0 after
copying the image, but instead of the kernel panic line, I get "Invalid
MS-DOS filesystem, you must specify filesystem type" or something along
those lines.  Maybe this info helps, maybe not... Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Tom Fawcet » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Martin,
> Thanks for the help.  I tried the 'cat root.gz > /dev/fd0' method and
> the error repeated.  My original effort consisted of:

> made a ext2 fs on a zero'd file
> mounted via loopback
> populated fs
> umount'd fs
> gzip'd fs file to rootfs.gz
> fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
> dd if=rootfs.gz of=/dev/fd0H1440 bs=1k(tried 512 too) seek=0(tried with
> & w/o)
> dd says: "1347+1 records in"
>          "1347+1 records out"

> I've noticed I get the same error when trying to mount /dev/fd0 after
> copying the image, but instead of the kernel panic line, I get "Invalid
> MS-DOS filesystem, you must specify filesystem type" or something along
> those lines.  Maybe this info helps, maybe not... Any more ideas?

By any chance does your /etc/fstab state that /dev/fd0 has an msdos fs?
If so, change it to 'auto' and try again.

-Tom