Kernel error messages

Post by R. Christopher Harshma » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone shed any light on the following:

Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: QUEUE FULL! 4 busy,
3 disconnected CCBs
Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: tagged command
queue
depth set to 3
Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: QUEUE FULL! 3 busy,
2 disconnected CCBs
Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: tagged command
queue depth set to 2

The messages log is full of those messages, daily.  Any suggestion
as to where I might look to rectify this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Kernel error messages

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Can anyone shed any light on the following:

> Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: QUEUE FULL! 4 busy,
> 3 disconnected CCBs
> Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: tagged command
> queue
> depth set to 3
> Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: QUEUE FULL! 3 busy,
> 2 disconnected CCBs
> Aug  4 23:59:53 agamemnon kernel: sym53c876-1-<0,0>: tagged command
> queue depth set to 2

> The messages log is full of those messages, daily.  Any suggestion
> as to where I might look to rectify this behavior?

> Thanks in advance!

> - Chris

sym53c876 refers to SCSI drivers for a Symbios (sp?) SCSI
adapter.   These could either be in the kernel or more
likely in a module.  There is clearly something wrong.  It
could be a hardware problem or something wrong with your
kernel or the module or ???.   I assume you do have a SCSI
card,  In that case there should be a short program run when
booting before you even get to LILO to boot an OS.  It will
indicate a key combination to use the program for diagnostic
purposes.  Try doing that and see if you see anything unusual.
You may get a message while Linux is booting about termination
of the SCSI bus, but that probably is not the problem.

You could also have a hardware problem with some device
on the SCSI bus: a hard drive, a CD drive, a tape drive?
You should probably check all the cabling.   If you can,
you might try selectively disconnecting the SCSI devices,
but that could be tricky and of course you can't do it for
a hard drive with the system on it.

Kernel error messages

Post by Paul Thomps » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I know that recent SCSI cards have command queues which allow multiple
commands to be aggregated into one for better operation.
Perhaps your disk or SCSI card does not support command queueing, or
the number of queued commands the kernel attempts to collect exceed
their capacity.

Just an semi educated guess.

Paul

--

1. kernel error message "martial message"

when a company Win2k computer tries to connect to my home network (kernel
2.4.10) it does not use the address offered by the DHCP server. I get a
kernel-message containing "martial message from xxx" ...

where do I find explanation for kernel messages?

Klaus

2. linux network with MPI ( parallel processing ). help !!!!!

3. Kernel error messages & softupdate

4. Linking externals w/ ld on GNU/Linux

5. Strange kernel error message

6. File System problem

7. 2 NIC and /kernel error messages

8. where can download "OPENBSD.ISO" image file

9. Kernel Error Message

10. kernel error messages about SCSI tape

11. Kernel Error message

12. kernel error message

13. X kernel error message display