linux on a DSP ?

Post by Nicolas Dentan » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Does Linux run on a DSP ?
What distribution should I use ?
Do you have any good sites I could look at ?

Thanks

linux on a DSP ?

Post by Andreas Kahar » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Please read the thread "porting linux to DSP" on the Linux Kernel
mailing list at
<URL:http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/Year-1999/1999-30/0197.html>
(sorry for any line breaks in the URL).

/A

Quote:> Does Linux run on a DSP ?

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# All junk email is reported to the appropriate authorities.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

linux on a DSP ?

Post by Johan Kullsta » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Does Linux run on a DSP?

linux a DSP would suck.  DSP are *only* good for issuing a series of
multiple-accumulate operations such as FIR filtering.  when you stray
from that, you tend to lose -- and lose hard.

C compilers typically generate *horrible* code for DSP.  to get
half-way decent performance you *must* use assembly.  no, the opimizer
doesn't work.  it's still slow and often broken.  this goes double for
the TI line of DSP which are imho in intel class of losing arches.

running *any* general purpose programs on DSP is a severe loser.
using a non-real-time operating system written in C is just plain
insane.  what are you trying to accomplish?

for a cheap embedded solution MIPS R3K or R4K series would be *much*
better.  whatever speed you lose to the DSP on the FIR filtering would
be completely dwarfed by the wins in general processing of the MIPS.

--
johan kullstam l72t00052

1. DSP/DIP packages for Linux + Sigview port to Linux...

hello,

Does anyone know of any DSP or DIP (digital image processing) packages ported
to Linux?

Thanks much!!!

- george

ps University of New Mexico had or has a DIP package called Khorus and i don't
   know whether it still exists now...

pss BTW, anyone ported the MCNC's Sigview utility under Cazm toolset to Linux?
    I tried porting yesterday but keep getting missing libraries. If anyone
    has the binary and would like to share, i would appreciate it very much.

2. Problems getting imm driver to compile/work

3. Ariel DSP-96 board plus Linux

4. Modules, networking, and other excitement

5. Any DSP boards with Linux drivers?

6. Solaris 8 10/01 netgroup problem

7. Sharc DSP & Linux ???

8. problematic interaction between mc and lynx in xterm

9. Linux for DSP

10. Simple DSP experiments under Linux

11. DSP card for Linux?

12. SoundScape/Reveal/MediaFX-16 DSP with Linux

13. cat > /dev/dsp (linux)