Using NBD without client user-space program?

Using NBD without client user-space program?

Post by Ryan Jose » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:39:58

Hello,

My organization is attempting to use the linux Network Block Device to
setup a large (~256 nodes) disk array using IDE disks already in the
nodes of our ~300 node computing cluster.

However, it appears that both the traditonal NBD as well as the newer,
enhanced NBD (ENBD) require the use of a user-space process for both
client and server functions.  On the nodes (the servers) this is not a
problem, but it would be very nice to be able to have a single point
of access on the client instead of 256 user-space client processes.

Does anyone know if there is a client-side kernel module that does
both the networking and block device handling that is currently done
with NBD and nbd-client on the client side machine?

Thanks!
Ryan Joseph

T-6 Theoretical Astrophysics