Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by RushMan199 » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am new to Linux and I am wondering if there is an office suite that is
file-format coompatible with MS Office 97 for cross-platform file
sharing. I need to be able to manipulate files in these formats from
within a suite in Linux so that I can stya out of MS-World as much as
possible. Any suggestions? I use Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3 and it does
come with a version of StarOffice, but I haven't installed it yet and I
don't know how capable it might be.

Thanks.

Ed Krayer

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Remo Goetsch » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

StarOffice 5.0 ist file-format compatible with MS Office97

> I am new to Linux and I am wondering if there is an office suite that is
> file-format coompatible with MS Office 97 for cross-platform file
> sharing. I need to be able to manipulate files in these formats from
> within a suite in Linux so that I can stya out of MS-World as much as
> possible. Any suggestions? I use Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3 and it does
> come with a version of StarOffice, but I haven't installed it yet and I
> don't know how capable it might be.

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Andy Pipe » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am new to Linux and I am wondering if there is an office suite that is
> file-format coompatible with MS Office 97 for cross-platform file
> sharing. I need to be able to manipulate files in these formats from
> within a suite in Linux so that I can stya out of MS-World as much as
> possible. Any suggestions? I use Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3 and it does
> come with a version of StarOffice, but I haven't installed it yet and I
> don't know how capable it might be.

StarOffice 5 and (AFAICR) Applixware are certainly both Office
97-compatible, from what I've heard/read/seen. The former is free for
personal use, Applixware is commercial. Both are pretty capable, StarOffice
is probably the more 'like' MS Office itself in use (i.e.
integrated/bloated)

Hope this helps.

Andy

--
Andy Piper
Technical Analyst, Middleware Development Group

website: <http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/andyp>
** All views expressed are my own! **

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am new to Linux and I am wondering if there is an office suite that is
> file-format coompatible with MS Office 97 for cross-platform file
> sharing. I need to be able to manipulate files in these formats from
> within a suite in Linux so that I can stya out of MS-World as much as
> possible. Any suggestions? I use Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3 and it does
> come with a version of StarOffice, but I haven't installed it yet and I
> don't know how capable it might be.

I must disagree with the other two posts I've seen so far, with the caveat
that I've yet to try StarOffice 5.0's import/export filters (though I have
used 4.0's).

Although various packages for Linux (WordPerfect, ApplixWare, and
StarOffice among them) can import and/or export Microsoft Office files,
these programs don't use the Office file formats internally.  Therefore,
translation is involved, and this is invariably imperfect.  It may be
good enough for moving VERY simple documents back and forth regularly,
and for one-time imports/exports of slightly more complex documents with
few problems, and for one-time imports/exports of fairly complex documents
if you don't mind correcting problems; but that's it.  The sense I get
from your message is that you need to be able to manipulate files equally
well from Microsoft Office and from some Linux package, and that a given
file may be read, modified, and written several times in a back-and-forth
manner.  If that's the case, I can't advise that you rely upon
import/export filters.

If you have control over the software on the Windows machines, though,
there ARE solutions.  You can install WordPerfect on both machines, or use
StarOffice on both machines.  At the moment, the former will only be good
for word processing, but the latter will be good for spreadsheets and
other components of that package.  Both are or will soon be available in
forms that are free for most non-commercial uses.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Jerry Lynn Krep » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just installed StarOffice 5.0 onto RH 5.1 this weekend.
It is everything the ads say it is.  Almost a Word Clone, but with more
power in graphical and presentation and html areas.

> I am new to Linux and I am wondering if there is an office suite that is
> file-format coompatible with MS Office 97 for cross-platform file
> sharing. I need to be able to manipulate files in these formats from
> within a suite in Linux so that I can stya out of MS-World as much as
> possible. Any suggestions? I use Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3 and it does
> come with a version of StarOffice, but I haven't installed it yet and I
> don't know how capable it might be.

> Thanks.

> Ed Krayer

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Bob Ko » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Just installed StarOffice 5.0 onto RH 5.1 this weekend.
>It is everything the ads say it is.  Almost a Word Clone, but with more
>power in graphical and presentation and html areas.

How are you folks getting StarOffice?  I can't get past the
registration form. I "submit" it and it comes back without my name and
address filled in, and I can't "change" the fields to get it to work.

I haven't had any problems at any other website (like etrade), so I
don't think it's Netscape acting up.

Bob

Post by Carlie Coa » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Just installed StarOffice 5.0 onto RH 5.1 this weekend.
> >It is everything the ads say it is.  Almost a Word Clone, but with more
> >power in graphical and presentation and html areas.

> How are you folks getting StarOffice?  I can't get past the
> registration form. I "submit" it and it comes back without my name and
> address filled in, and I can't "change" the fields to get it to work.

> I haven't had any problems at any other website (like etrade), so I
> don't think it's Netscape acting up.

No, it's probably a JavaScript problem -- StarOffice's site
isn't really HTML, it's a bunch of JS scripts that suffer from
serious scope problems if you do your navigation in any except
the ways they expect.

JavaScript is a sad excuse for a language, which demonstrates that
for the ignorant, history repeats itself.  It proves that its authors
learned *nothing* from the Lisp-vs-Scheme wars of 20 years ago ;-(
"www.staroffice.com"s imitation-frames implemented in JS can easily
get you into contexts for which the needed JS routines are not defined.

This may have been your problem.

Me?  I also hate encountering denial-of-service attacks disguised
as JS web pages (my office system is an elderly SPARC 10).

fwiw -- Carlie Coats

Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

Post by Jerry Lynn Krep » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Bob,
I never tried to use the website.  I used their California number and
called direct.
The person that took my order misidentified my machine and I got the
Solaris version, which I RMA'd back and received the Linux version a
week later.  StarOffice 5.0 is an awesome product!
Jerry

Post by Stev » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> How are you folks getting StarOffice?  I can't get past the
> registration form. I "submit" it and it comes back without my name and
> address filled in, and I can't "change" the fields to get it to work.

I think if you just get the tar file and extract it, you can run the
installation and
register at the end of it. Anyways, I installed a few days ago
(StarOffice). It will
open some Word 97 files, and some it has problems with. All the files I
save as
Word 97 look like Word 6.0 to Word 97, and the figures and special
formatting
(like hyperlinks) are gone. It looks to me like it is OK for opening an
occasional
Word file, but it is not really fully compatible. It doesn't dump core as
much as
WordPerfect for Linux, on the upside. I could get it to shut-down
inexplicably,
on occasion.

Steve

Post by Brion Vibbe » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I think if you just get the tar file and extract it, you can run the
> installation and
> register at the end of it.

That didn't work for me... I had to go back to the web site and
re-register since I had lost the registration code I got when I first
downloaded it. Whoops! Didn't have any problem doing that though.

Quote:> It looks to me like it is OK for opening an
> occasional
> Word file, but it is not really fully compatible. It doesn't dump core as
> much as
> WordPerfect for Linux, on the upside.

For me StarOffice is significantly less stable than WordPerfect... don't
know why. 5.0 seems more stable for me than 4.0 was, it only crashed
once or twice in the first half hour rather than acting badly and
crashing at the drop of a hat. WordPerfect only gave me trouble when I
tried to feed it bad font files (oops).

Both will read Word 97 files imperfectly, but most of my format-heavy
stuff is in WordPerfect anyway (which StarOffice does not know _at all_,
making the word processor nearly useless to me) and so goes
cross-platform with no problems.

Post by Robert Ennal » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> For me StarOffice is significantly less stable than WordPerfect... don't
> know why. 5.0 seems more stable for me than 4.0 was, it only crashed
> once or twice in the first half hour rather than acting badly and
> crashing at the drop of a hat. WordPerfect only gave me trouble when I
> tried to feed it bad font files (oops).

StarOffice is *very* stable on my machine. I use it quite often and I
think it has crashed about twice, but even then it managed to auto-save
my work as it went down so I didn't lose anything. It is much more
stable than things like Netscape or MS Office.

That said, once I installed it slightly wrong and it behaved very oddly
(forgot to do separate client and server installs).

--

http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~rje33/