serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

Post by Dick Repas » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

1. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

I'm a loss.  I have several machines already running with 9600 baud (default)
speeds to their serial consoles.  From what I read, you can't use
smc to modify the speed if the ports are used as consoles... but I cannot
figure out how to change the speed and reset the line so the rate
changes to the console.

I know it may be different in Solaris 10.. I've got a mix of Sol 8,9,10
plaforms.  How can I raise the rate to the maximum.  Also, even new
hardware seems to indicate that 38400 is as high as it can go...
anyone else know different and can tell me what I need to do to
enable for 115200 (or if it's possible)?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

2. TAME Server

3. How to specify serial port i/o and irq as akernel parameter for serial console?

4. NewCom 33,600ifx(c) Modem...not being seen

5. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

6. Telnet problems after moving to ELF via Slackware CD

7. Serial port to serial port copying software

8. Anybody want to test a widget?

9. Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port

10. Serial port to serial port with null modem cable

11. Serial port - to - serial port networking

12. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

13. 1/3 Fix serial console flow control, serial.c