X server for Win 95 /98

Post by Hein Hansse » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm looking for a good Xserver for Win 95/98. It should not cost too much or
be free of charge. I have a Linux machine and a Win 98 machine and I would
like to run my Linux programs on mij Windows desktop.

Is there anyone who can help me????

Thanks!

Hein Hanssen

X server for Win 95 /98

Post by Don Heffern » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I like MiX - MicroImages X Server for Windows
(http://tnt.microimages.com/freestuf/).  It is about $25 with a thirty
day trial.  My daughter uses it all the time to run Gimp off a Linux
box.

Don
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:08:46 +0100, "Hein Hanssen"

>Hello,

>I'm looking for a good Xserver for Win 95/98. It should not cost too much or
>be free of charge. I have a Linux machine and a Win 98 machine and I would
>like to run my Linux programs on mij Windows desktop.

>Is there anyone who can help me????

>Thanks!

>Hein Hanssen

Don Heffernan
heffernan.cais.net

X server for Win 95 /98

Post by Don Heffern » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I forgot to mention that documentation seems pretty scant - or at
least did when I got this thing.  After you install MiX all you need
to do is:
1) launch MiX
2) telnet to your Unix host
3) Export a terminal - in RH 6.0 you can go a couple of ways
     xterm -display <your IP>:0.0 &
OR
export DISPLAY=<your IP>:0.0
xterm &  (and repeat for additional terminals)

Don

>I like MiX - MicroImages X Server for Windows
>(http://tnt.microimages.com/freestuf/).  It is about $25 with a thirty
>day trial.  My daughter uses it all the time to run Gimp off a Linux
>box.

>Don
>On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:08:46 +0100, "Hein Hanssen"

>>Hello,

>>I'm looking for a good Xserver for Win 95/98. It should not cost too much or
>>be free of charge. I have a Linux machine and a Win 98 machine and I would
>>like to run my Linux programs on mij Windows desktop.

>>Is there anyone who can help me????

>>Thanks!

>>Hein Hanssen

>Don Heffernan
>heffernan.cais.net

Don Heffernan
heffernan.cais.net

1. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

I work for a systems integrator. We do alot of Windows installs,
currently using the DSP preinstall boot floppys to load off the cd-rom
drives in the computers we ship. Easy enough and the PBFs make for a
smooth, automated install.

I would like to up the ante a bit and instead use the little P133 Linux
box I built from spares to serve up disk images of the Windows install
media so that the machines could install off the network. I know I could
do this easily with another network setup, i.e. NetWare, but I would
rather use Linux. My question then is this, what is the easiest and
cheapest way for me to connect a PC in real mode to a Linux box?

The software portion for the target PCs needs to be as small as
possible, hopefully taking up less than 400k or so of disk space,
executable from config.sys and autoexec.bat, and scriptable so that the
login can be automated. Suggestions anyone? Please throw them at me. I
was thinking about trying NFS or Samba but was not sure about the cost
and availability of client software for DOS. Thanks in advance.

Rob D.

2. What does these message tell me?

3. Passwd Server for Win-NT,95,98 & Linux

4. Old Apache server documentation?

5. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

6. problem with Twinsock

7. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

8. networking OS/2 and Linux problem!

9. UFS driver for Win 95/98

10. NFS-Client for win 95/98

11. Win 95/98 boot

12. Win 95/98 to Samba

13. Can I set up a TRUE Unix Apache installation in Win 95/98?