Recovering the /var/lib/rpm RPM database?

Recovering the /var/lib/rpm RPM database?

Post by Edgar Von » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hey,

I lost my RPM database (the directory /var/lib/rpm). Don't ask me
how....

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build a new one without
having to install all packages again. Maybe somebody wrote a tool that
compares SPEC files with existing files on your computer and updates the
database for you if the correct file are found??

cheers,

Edgar

--
Edgar Vonk

Post by Ia » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hey,

>I lost my RPM database (the directory /var/lib/rpm). Don't ask me
>how....

>Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build a new one without

There is a wonderful packaged called XRPM which I discovered after
much frustration with Caldera OpenLinux V1.2 LISA installation program
which finally hung irretrievably & would install nothing, even after
repeated reboots.

If you use the Verbose option it lists all the dependencies which were
not found, which are silently ignored by LISA, so that you can go
looking for them.   It is really great.

What follows is taken from  the site <http://www.gmsys.com>.  Look in
the Software section.  "Xrpm" is born out of frustration with Redhat
and Caldera rpm management tools.  The package does very much more
than listed below.

  Xrpm is a simple X interface to the RedHat Package Manager that we
use for  everyday tasks. It displays a sorted list of installed or
un-installed rpm's and allows one to do the following:
                         1) Query the package.
                         2) List all the files in the package.
                         3) Remove or install the package.
                         4) Query, list and install packages from a
directory.
                         5) Query, list and install packages from an
FTP site.

My sincere thanks to the authors.

This will help, Ian.

Post by Ia » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Hey,

>>I lost my RPM database (the directory /var/lib/rpm). Don't ask me
>>how....

>>Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build a new one without

>There is a wonderful packaged called XRPM which I discovered after
>much frustration with Caldera OpenLinux V1.2 LISA installation program
>which finally hung irretrievably & would install nothing, even after
>repeated reboots.
>What follows is taken from  the site <http://www.gmsys.com>.  Look in
>the Software section.  "Xrpm" is born out of frustration with Redhat
>and Caldera rpm management tools.  The package does very much more

PS.   forgot to say the you need python to run xrpm.  You probably
have it already but try www.python.org.

Cheers Ian

1. RPM for Uwin - cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm

Im trying to use the port of RPM for UWin. Unfortunatelly Im having
some problems to get it to work
properly.
   I installed the new version of Uwin (3.1) sucessfully. I also
downloaded RPM 4.0.3 from Wipro site and
installed it. I did the instalation from the root directory (/) using:

$ tar xvf rpm-4.0.3.tar
rpm-4.0.3.tar volume 1 in tar format
usr
usr/bin
usr/bin/rpm.exe
usr/bin/rpm2cpio.exe
usr/local
usr/local/lib
usr/local/lib/rpm
usr/local/lib/rpm/rpmrc
usr/man
usr/man/man8
usr/man/man8/rpm.8
usr/man/man8/rpm2cpio.8
12 files, 1365 blocks

   After that I created the directory  /var/lib/rpm .
   To create the rpm database I execute rpm --initdb . At this point
I get an error:

   $ rpm --initdb
   cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: No such file or
directory

   At /var/lib/rpm was created the following file:

   $ pwd
   /var/lib/rpm
   $ ls
   packages.rpm

  The same message I get when I execute it using Administrator or su
.

  Thanks for any help,

      Gustavo

2. Web Site of Intrest

3. RPM corrupted, rpm --rebuilddb fails and there is data in the /var/lib/rpm directory

4. oh bother. apache not accepting "method=post"

5. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

6. can't make a ppp connection

7. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. LOOKING FOR HITACHI CD-ROM DRIVER.

9. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

10. failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

11. /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

12. cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm