finding Linux help

Post by Steve Horsl » Thu, 12 May 1994 06:10:50

A few hints for beginners that will hopefully save them some time. Knowing
these things from the beginning would certainly have saved me a few hours!

I have discovered that the man command likes to hide things from you.
For instance, if you do "man mount", it will give you what looks like the
whole manual on the mount command. This is just another example of unix
being user-hostile in a sneaky way. If you use "man -a mount", you also
get a second page with lots of new and interesting stuff. I have now added
the line
                   alias mount='mount -a'
to my /etc/profile file.

I also found out that there are man pages on things other than commands,
for instance "man Xconfig" talks about the Xconfig file.

I have found that there are lots of readme files and the like scattered
around the directory structure, like a handful of diamonds thrown in the
bushes. In fact, I found around 90 in my disk. Rather than move them all
into /usr/doc and have to worry about duplicate names, I wrote the
following script (which I called gethelp, but it cn be called anything)
which can search them all for a keyword where they are.
I hope others can find it useful too. You will have to make the script
executable before you can use it, like this:
         chmod 755 gethelp

The script could probably be done better, but I don't think it's bad
for a beginner.

------------------ Hack along dotted line ---------------------
# This little script helps you find help on a given subject.
# You invoke the script with a single argument (e.g. "gethelp Xconfig")
# and gethelp searches a whole load of files looking for that word.
#
# A list of the files to be searched should be in the file
# /usr/doc/helplist.txt (or edit the script if you want it elsewhere).
# I made my helplist file by doing the following (unmount your CDROM
# and DOS drives first):
#    find / -name '*README*' -print > /usr/doc/helplist.txt
#    find / -name '*eadme*' -print >> /usr/doc/helplist.txt
#    find / -name '*FAQ*' -print >> /usr/doc/helplist.txt
#    find / -name '*HOWTO*' -print >> /usr/doc/helplist.txt
#
# It does its work by calling itself using the list file as a long
# list of arguments. The second iteration then uses grep on each file
# in turn.
#
if eval [ $1 != 2 ] ; then
        gethelp 2 $1 $(cat /usr/doc/helplist.txt)
else
        GREPSTRING=$2
        shift
        shift
        for file do
                if grep -2 $GREPSTRING $file ; then
                        echo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        echo Above was from $file
                        echo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                fi
        done
fi
------------------ Hack along dotted line ---------------------

--

finding Linux help

Post by Lars Wirzeni » Thu, 12 May 1994 19:12:32

> For instance, if you do "man mount", it will give you what looks like the
> whole manual on the mount command. This is just another example of unix
> being user-hostile in a sneaky way. If you use "man -a mount", you also
> get a second page with lots of new and interesting stuff. I have now added
> the line
>               alias mount='mount -a'
> to my /etc/profile file.

I assume you mean

        alias man='man -a'

?

--

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

finding Linux help

Post by Steve Horsl » Sun, 15 May 1994 23:58:26

Quote:> >                  alias mount='mount -a'
> > to my /etc/profile file.

> I assume you mean

>         alias man='man -a'

OOPS - this week's wally prize! Yes, I DID mean alias man='man -a'.

Sorry if I confused anyone. They do say you should read your own mail
before you post it. Mistakes like that is why.

--

1. Help: Cannot find /usr/src/linux/include/linux !!!

: Hi:

:       I am using Linux kernel 1.1.50.

:       I found that I don't have /linux in /usr/src directory so that I
: cannot compile some programs.

:       I had /usr/src/linux/include/linux in my 0.99.14a kernel before.
: I have no idea why I don't have it now.

:       Any help/comment/suggestion/assistance will be appreciated.

:       Thanks in advance.

You may get the sources of 1.1.50 (or more) and install /usr/src/linux
properly. Versions above 1.0 don't put anything in /usr/include/linux
and /usr/include/asm ... /usr/include/linux is now a symlink
to /usr/src/linux/include/linux (idem for asm).
There is also a readme file in /usr/src/linux (after installation of the
sources and patching the kernel)...
The last version is 1.1.61, and it is said to be 'bug-free' ...

Sylvain Nierveze

: --
:      *********************************************************************
:      *       Name : Chang-An Hsiao (Andrew)    *    P.O. BOX 7004        *

:      *********************************************************************
:
:          Ranking of my favorite things: 1. Babies 2. Pets 3. Beauties

2. Canon BJC-2010 under Linux?

3. Using PS to find a process and then restarting if not found (HELP)

4. UNIX Timing Question

5. Help with updatedb, (can't find @find@ or @frcode...)

6. UW 2.1.1, running "niccfg" after installing "nic211" driver updates.

7. tcsh: run-help -- no file found (where to find)?

8. 'telnet' client fails when 'named' is up on server !!

9. Linux Find vs FreeBSD Find

10. BIOS finds 128MB Ram Linux finds 64MB???

11. Linux 2.4.x Kernel Bug - Problem NOT found, but found workaround

12. Need to find vi command to remove ^H from command man find > find.txt

13. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"