Warp, Boot Manager & Linux

Post by J.Ashfiel » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anyone had sucess in installing Warp after Linux and getting Boot
Manager to Recognise the Linux Partition ?

I have tried changing the Partition type from Linux but still no luck.

Any Suggestions?

*               Web Home Page: http://scitsc.wlv.ac.uk/~cm1999/ *

Warp, Boot Manager & Linux

Post by Miles Dav » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Has anyone had sucess in installing Warp after Linux and getting Boot
: Manager to Recognise the Linux Partition ?
: Any Suggestions?

I have done this (last night, in fact.) If you be more specific with the
problems you are having, maybe I can help...

--

// University of Missouri-Rolla
// Department of Computer Science

Warp, Boot Manager & Linux

Post by Tom Oehs » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone had sucess in installing Warp after Linux and getting Boot
>Manager to Recognise the Linux Partition ?

Well, my personal approach is to have LILO handle the boot process, with
OS/2 as one of the options.  There are several advantages:
-Lilo is much more configurable.
-OS/2's fdisk will switch around partition numbers and really kill you.
-No worries about getting boot manager to recognise lilo.

HOW to do it:

Well, first of all, if OS/2 is on an extended partition, LILO *can't*
directly boot it.  So, you have to have LILO boot the BOOT MANAGER
partition, and set BM up to have only OS/2, and with a 0 second delay, so
it *acts* like LILO booted OS/2.  I put LILO on the mbr, but it should
work fine otherwise also.  Now, one problem if you use slack-ware, its
setup program doesn't fail if lilo fails.  So, ALWAYS do 'lilo' from a
command line and make sure it works.  The slackware setup is quite
capable of seting up lilo.conf to fail, and not letting you know it
failed.  So, anyway- LILO boots first from the master boot record (really
not risky.) and gives me choices of DOS, Linux kernels, or OS/2.  If I
pick OS/2, LILO requires a password, then OS/2 boots- I don't even see
the blue screen of the BM, though it is there. -Tom

1. OS/2 Warp Boot Manager & Logical Partitions

I have just jumped into the Linux world with the March 1995 Slackware
distribution, and need a little information.

I have learned from this newsgroup that fdisk has some problems,
especially when used in conjuction with the OS/2 fdisk & Boot Manager, and
with logical partitions.  In my case, I am dealing with both.

The specific questions I have:

  Is it possible to install linux in logical partitions created with
the OS/2 fdisk program?  I have no reason to believe this will not work.

  If so, where in the vast network can I locate a rootdisk that
has the proper linux fdisk program that can see the logical partitions
created with the OS/2 fdisk program.?

  I have a 1 gig disk that includes a partition for DOS, a partition
for OS/2, and partition for the BM, and an extended partition.  The
extended partion has one formated logical partion for OS/2 applications,
and three unformatted partitions.  The linux fdisk program does not see any
of the logical partitions.  I know they are there because the boot
disk program displays all of the partitions just before I am prompted
for the root disk in the installation process:

    " hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 [hda5] [hda6] [hda7] [hda8]"

  Help will be appriciated, and results will be shared...

-Rick
--
|================================================================|

|= Freedom Software, Inc.         =|=  *Consulting              =|
|= Frederick, Maryland.           =|=  *Design & Implementation =|
|================================================================|

2. ITeX PCI ADSL card and newer 2.4 kernels

3. Installing Linux on OS/2 Warp system with Boot Manager

4. Jaz Drive and Bootable Linux

5. red hat linux 4.1 with os/2 warp 4 and boot manager

6. Time inside Kernel

7. Linux with OS/2 warp boot manager

8. How to check a file e

9. Linux and Warp from Boot Manager

10. Linux and OS2 Warp on EIDE using BOOT Manager (HOW!)

11. Help Installing Redhat 5.2, NT4.0, and OS/2 Warp using Boot Manager?

12. 3.0 Slackware/Partition Magic/Warp Boot Manager

13. LILO as secondary loader to OS/2 Warp Boot Manager?