I would like to start rshd - how?

Post by yft » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I would like to start the rsh daemon? How is it done? Is it done manually?
I'm testing the rsh and rexec utilities but I get an access denied error.

Cheers,

Jon

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: Hi

: I would like to start the rsh daemon? How is it done? Is it done manually?

What rsh daemon? If there is one it will be run automatically from
inetd (check your inetd.conf, and killall -1 inetd).

Make sure you have at least the portmapper running, and probably a
whole slew of extra rpc.* daemonms too. Just use sshd and ssh instead.

: I'm testing the rsh and rexec utilities but I get an access denied error.

From who? Your client? Your server? Post the error message. Run with
debugging on. Use strace. Check /etc/hosts.deny on the server. Use
nonce.

Peter

I would like to start rshd - how?

Post by Martin A. Brow » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I would recommend that you look into ssh (see http://www.openssh.com/ ).
It's free, includes crypto, and allows you to perform almost all of the
same functions as rsh/rexec, and so on.

It provides scp (secure copy), and you can do things like rexec by issuing
a command like this:

If you wanted to log into the machine (instead of "just" running a
command),

This also allows you to setup "trusted" relationships where you are logged
in based on your public/private key, or "non-trusted" relationships where
a password (encrypted session) is exchanged to authenticate you.

Best of luck,

-Martin

--

:Hi