1. Announce: skim 0.4 uploaded to sunsite (graphical off-line newsreader)
I've uploaded skim version 0.4 to sunsite. This obsoletes skim version 0.1
(0.2 and 0.3 were not released to the public) as well as the skim_tcl package
which was released separately. You can soon find skim version 0.4 in:
What is skim?
Skim is a graphical off-line newsreader which is designed to minimize the
on-line time when using a slow serial link (for example, 14K4 Slip or PPP).
Skim is useful when your phone company or Internet access provider charges for
on-line time, or when conventional newsreaders are too slow.
What's new in version 0.4?
- Integrated a graphical interface for skim contributed by Christoph
Neerfeld. Skim is now easy to use. Many thanks to Christoph.
- The number of parallel connections to the NNTP server is now configurable
by means of an environment variable. You can use it to tune the utilization
of your serial link. It is also useful when the news server is overloaded,
or when your news server limits the maximum number of concurrent
connections per client IP address. Some users reported that they couldn't
use skim 0.1, since their news server doesn't allow many parallel
- Performance improvements in the graphical interface.
- Fixed a bug which caused skim not to fetch articles which were selected by
inserting a TAB. This bug was reported by a couple of users.
- Fixed a number of other bugs in skim and xskim, mostly related to error
handling. Also, some discrepancies between skim and xskim were resolved.
- Implemented the command 'skim newsgroups', which retrieves a list of all
valid newgroups from the news server.
- Many other changes are documented in the README file.
-Ren\'e Pijlman- _-^^-_
// _ - /
On no account allow a Vogon || \ - /\\
to read poetry at you. || \___/ ||
- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy || //|\
2. LTmodem no dial tone
3. Off-line newsreader for Solaris
4. Man, what a group of sour-pusses
5. Off-line newsreader
6. Linux on UNISYS PW3203
7. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup
8. SunOS4.1.3_U1 on SunIPC
9. Interested in simple off-line news reading package for slow lines?
10. Off-Line reader for Linux, how to configure?
11. Off-line news reader for LInux ?
12. BWAVE off-line mail reader LIKE for Linux????