Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by Stev » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
but no such luck.

Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  5:19pm  up  8:47,  4 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.10, 1.09

Post by Cory Kemp » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
> refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
> time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
> handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
> but no such luck.

Uh, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just set yourself up as a news leaf
node, and run news on your local system?  Then you could use any client
you wanted.

+C

--
Have you signed up to be a bone marrow doner?  All it takes is a simple
* test, and it can save a life.  <http://www.veryComputer.com/>

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development

Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by Charles Blackbu » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:22:48 +0000, Steve blurted:

Quote:>Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
>refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
>time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
>handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
>but no such luck.

have you got leafnode or another local news-server running?]

I use leafnode and slrn without any problems.

if you need help setting it up, tell me

--
Charles Blackburn
Summerfield Technology Limited - Official SuSE Reseller

WWW: http://www.summerfieldtechnology.co.uk

Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by Spik » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi
> Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
> refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
> time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
> handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
> but no such luck.
> Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

You need leafnode. (It's a newsserver. You point the newsreader at it via
localhost)

--
|                           |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|

|                           |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|            in             |good to you so far...                           |
|     Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

Post by Mike Tuthi » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Hi

>Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
>refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
>time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
>handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
>but no such luck.

>Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

You can always run Agent using Wine.

Post by Marc Aparici » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one),
> slrn refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all
> the time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give
> me a handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go
> for me, but no such luck.

> Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

> --
> Cheers

> %HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

> web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

> or  http://start.at/zero-pps

>   5:19pm  up  8:47,  4 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.10, 1.09

leafnode

Post by Rick » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi

> > Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
> > refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
> > time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
> > handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
> > but no such luck.

> > Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

> You need leafnode. (It's a newsserver. You point the newsreader at it via
> localhost)

What people are asking for is on off line news reader, not a news
server. Netscape Communicator for Windows has an offline feature, but
the Linux version apparently does not.

IIRC, K News does have the ability to DL subjects, mark the article for
LD, and the ability to view the off line.
--
To reply by email remove NOSPAM from my address.

Post by Christopher Brow » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> > Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
>> > refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
>> > time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
>> > handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
>> > but no such luck.

>> > Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

>> You need leafnode. (It's a newsserver. You point the newsreader at it via
>> localhost)

>What people are asking for is on off line news reader, not a news
>server. Netscape Communicator for Windows has an offline feature, but
>the Linux version apparently does not.

By adding in a small news server, *ALL* news clients become "offline"
news clients.

This isn't an unfair suggestion to make; an "offline newsreader" is a
news client that embeds a news server inside itself.

On UNIX, which supports multi-user/multi-tasking, it makes a whole lot
of sense to just plain *not embed this,* as it is cheaper and simpler
to just spawn a separate process.

--
"In man-machine symbiosis, it is man who must adjust: The machines
can't." -- Alan Perlis

Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by Spik » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What people are asking for is on off line news reader, not a news
> server. Netscape Communicator for Windows has an offline feature, but
> the Linux version apparently does not.

Which is a good thing. All an off-line newsreader is, is a newsreader with a
built in newsserver.

Totally pointless on Linux, where there are numerous newsservers already
available.

The unix philosophy is to keep jobs seperate. You don't have an e-mail
program with built in editor and mail delivery agent.

You use the ones already in the system.

Also, as Linux is a multi user system, it leaves a lot more freedom for
personal configuration. You're not locked into one single newsreader.

Quote:> IIRC, K News does have the ability to DL subjects, mark the article for
> LD, and the ability to view the off line.

*sigh*
What's the point?

|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

Post by Michel Catuda » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Rick

> I had a go at K, but it makes all the threads look asthough
> they're all in the same thread, I couldn't get on with it.

You're right, and it's one of the worst newreader I've ever dealt with. Not only does
it do that but it can't dowload most of the messages that are available. It sucks big
time.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

Post by John Thompso » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > What people are asking for is on off line news reader, not a news
> > server. Netscape Communicator for Windows has an offline feature, but
> > the Linux version apparently does not.
> Which is a good thing. All an off-line newsreader is, is a newsreader with a
> built in newsserver.

> Totally pointless on Linux, where there are numerous newsservers already
> available.

> The unix philosophy is to keep jobs seperate. You don't have an e-mail
> program with built in editor and mail delivery agent.

> You use the ones already in the system.

> Also, as Linux is a multi user system, it leaves a lot more freedom for
> personal configuration. You're not locked into one single newsreader.

Not to mention the fact that multiple users can share the
same news spool, instead of each user downloading their own
copies of the articles to read off-line.  Sharing a news
spool with a local news server makes efficient use of
metered dial-up connections, for example.

--

Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by NF Steve » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>> IIRC, K News does have the ability to DL subjects, mark the article for
>> LD, and the ability to view the off line.

>*sigh*
>What's the point?

The point is that integrated news readers have much better facilities
for selecting which articles to download. For those whose dialup
connection is charged by the minute this level of control is
absolutely necessary.

Norman

Post by Stev » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Rick

I had a go at K, but it makes all the threads look asthough
they're all in the same thread, I couldn't get on with it.

> > > Hi

> > > Does anyone know of an off-line newsreader for linux (a good one), slrn
> > > refuses to work,  Netscape thinks that I should be on line all the
> > > time.  I upgraded Netscape today to 4.7 in the hope that it'd give me a
> > > handy little option to go and get all my mail and news in one go for me,
> > > but no such luck.

> > > Help please someone, it's like being stranded on a desert island.

> > You need leafnode. (It's a newsserver. You point the newsreader at it via
> > localhost)

> What people are asking for is on off line news reader, not a news
> server. Netscape Communicator for Windows has an offline feature, but
> the Linux version apparently does not.

> IIRC, K News does have the ability to DL subjects, mark the article for
> LD, and the ability to view the off line.
> --
> To reply by email remove NOSPAM from my address.

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 12:15am  up  5:42,  4 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.10,
1.11

Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

Post by Spik » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The point is that integrated news readers have much better facilities
> for selecting which articles to download. For those whose dialup
> connection is charged by the minute this level of control is
> absolutely necessary.

Rubbish. Any newsreader capable of talking to leafnode (with the exception
of Netscape, which has problems apparently) can do that.

Leafnode has the option of only downloading headers.
You then go back off-line, select the messages you want, go on-line again
and fetchnews...

I've never bothered using it myself though.

|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|             in            | suck is probably the day they start making     |
|      Computer Science     | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

1. Announce: skim 0.4 uploaded to sunsite (graphical off-line newsreader)

Hello,

I've uploaded skim version 0.4 to sunsite. This obsoletes skim version 0.1
(0.2 and 0.3 were not released to the public) as well as the skim_tcl package
which was released separately. You can soon find skim version 0.4 in:

    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/News/readers/skim-0.4.tgz.

What is skim?
-------------
Skim is a graphical off-line newsreader which is designed to minimize the
on-line time when using a slow serial link (for example, 14K4 Slip or PPP).

Skim is useful when your phone company or Internet access provider charges for
on-line time, or when conventional newsreaders are too slow.

What's new in version 0.4?
--------------------------

  - Integrated a graphical interface for skim contributed by Christoph
    Neerfeld. Skim is now easy to use. Many thanks to Christoph.

  - The number of parallel connections to the NNTP server is now configurable
    by means of an environment variable. You can use it to tune the utilization
    of your serial link. It is also useful when the news server is overloaded,
    or when your news server limits the maximum number of concurrent
    connections per client IP address. Some users reported that they couldn't
    use skim 0.1, since their news server doesn't allow many parallel
    connections.

  - Performance improvements in the graphical interface.

  - Fixed a bug which caused skim not to fetch articles which were selected by
    inserting a TAB. This bug was reported by a couple of users.

  - Fixed a number of other bugs in skim and xskim, mostly related to error
    handling. Also, some discrepancies between skim and xskim were resolved.

  - Implemented the command 'skim newsgroups', which retrieves a list of all
    valid newgroups from the news server.

  - Many other changes are documented in the README file.

Good luck,
-Ren\'e Pijlman-                      _-^^-_

                                   //   _ -  /
On no account allow a Vogon       || \  -  /\\
to read poetry at you.            ||  \___/ ||
- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy ||       //|\

2. LTmodem no dial tone

3. Off-line newsreader for Solaris

4. Man, what a group of sour-pusses

5. Off-line newsreader

6. Linux on UNISYS PW3203

7. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup

8. SunOS4.1.3_U1 on SunIPC

9. Interested in simple off-line news reading package for slow lines?

10. Off-Line reader for Linux, how to configure?

11. Off-line news reader for LInux ?

12. BWAVE off-line mail reader LIKE for Linux????