Booting Via Floppy and mount / via NFS

Post by Justin (G » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I would like to boot my DX4/100 off a floppy and mount my DX2/66 Linux
machines root directory as the 100's root directory. Is this possible? I have
been thinking about creating a boot disk w/ only /etc dir on it and mounting
the rest seperately. I this possible? Any suggestion? Please include
solutoins...

Justin (Gus) Hurwitz

1. Modifying boot floppy to mount / via nfs

Is there a quick an dirty way to create a boot image which boot Linux
up and then mounts the  root partition via nfs from another linux box?

I have been reading about setting up bootpd, etc.... but am wondering
if this may be a better way for our lab usage....

We have a 486-50 with 8 Meg RAM and 13 386-33 with 4 Meg RAM.  I will
primarily be using Linux for teacher workshops on FTP, Telnet, Mail,
and News.... so I will only need to boot up linux on the system and
have it nfs mount root from either the 486 or a dedicated 386 -- we do
not have the money to spare the 40+ Meg HD space for installation on
each system....

Any help and  or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Christopher Keane

2. changing ethernet speed to slower

3. tar backup via NFS excluding NFS mount point

4. DIP problem: host name

5. Booting VIA Eden via USB Key

6. Linux vs. Win95 (was: why w95 users fe

7. Cannot mount via NFS

8. Sound card recommendation

9. Can't see mounted ISO images via NFS

10. nfs mounts via 100mb intel ethernet

11. mounting a cdrom via nfs

12. mounting swap, /var and /etc via nfs

13. compiling bash via NFS mount fails need help