Apache 2.0 on Red Hat 8.0 only outputs the Apache Test Page

Apache 2.0 on Red Hat 8.0 only outputs the Apache Test Page

Post by Scott M. Navarr » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:34:58

Hello,

  I am having a problem setting up Apache 2.0 on Red Hat 8.0.  Using the
default setup through the Red Hat installation, I have tried putting an
'index.html' file in the default DocumentRoot directory ('/var/www/html')
specified in '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf'.  But all I see when I call up the
URL is the infamous Apache Test Page ('/var/www/error/noindex.html').
  I have also tried setting up 2 "virtual hosts using the same IP address"
by adding the neccessary tags to the end of the '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf'
file, but I am still having the same problem.  I was able to setup virtual
hosts on Apache 1.3 in Red Hat 7.1 without too much of a problem...
  Is there anything special that I need to do with Apache 2.0 or Red Hat 8.0
to get it to work???

Many thanks in advance,
  Scott Navarre

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:11:41

> Hello,

>   I am having a problem setting up Apache 2.0 on Red Hat 8.0.  Using the
> default setup through the Red Hat installation, I have tried putting an
> 'index.html' file in the default DocumentRoot directory ('/var/www/html')
> specified in '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf'.  But all I see when I call up the
> URL is the infamous Apache Test Page ('/var/www/error/noindex.html').

Look at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Look for this line:

DocumentRoot "(current doc path)"

Make sure it points to the directory you think it does. Make sure that
directory and its files have world read permission.

Also look into /etc/httpd/logs and scan for any revealing error messages.

Also, when you change things in your configuration or layout, two
additional steps are a good idea, not always required:

1. Restart the httpd server:

# service httpd restart

2. Purge the cache on your browser.

Some browsers won't check to see if an URL has changed before showing the
cached content.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by Paul M Hanso » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:47:05

> Look at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Look for this line:

> DocumentRoot "(current doc path)"

> Make sure it points to the directory you think it does. Make sure that
> directory and its files have world read permission.

YES, they do.

Quote:> Also look into /etc/httpd/logs and scan for any revealing error messages.

OK, I took a look at '/etc/httpd/logs/error_log', and I see the following
message repeated many times (I assume once for each attempt I made to access
the web page):

  [error]  [client 10.1.4.119]  Directory index forbidden by rule:
/var/www/VirtualHost1/

What does this mean???  What rule, where???

My '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf' file contains the following:

  NameVirtualHost 10.0.0.4
    <VirtualHost 10.0.0.4>
      ServerName www.virtualhostname1.com
      DocumentRoot /var/www/VirtualHost1
    </VirtualHost>
    <VirtualHost 10.0.0.4>
      ServerName www.virtualhostname2.com
      DocumentRoot /var/www/VirtualHost2
    </VirtualHost>

  Is there anything else I need to add to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf' (or
any other file) to get it to work?

Thanks again,
  Scott Navarre

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:29:21

>> Look at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Look for this line:

>> DocumentRoot "(current doc path)"

>> Make sure it points to the directory you think it does. Make sure that
>> directory and its files have world read permission.

> YES, they do.

>> Also look into /etc/httpd/logs and scan for any revealing error messages.

> OK, I took a look at '/etc/httpd/logs/error_log', and I see the following
> message repeated many times (I assume once for each attempt I made to access
> the web page):

>   [error]  [client 10.1.4.119]  Directory index forbidden by rule:
> /var/www/VirtualHost1/

Okay, just to simplify things, remove all the virtual hosts for now. Focus
on getting your DocumentRoot directory to work.

Put an index.html in the DocumentRoot directory. Try to avoid any peculiar
settings by scanning the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file, or replace it by
running the GUI configuration applet, choosing very simple configuration
options, THEN changing DocumentRoot if you need to.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

1. Red Hat 8.0 shipping with Apache 2.0 and PHP?

Hi all,

Was installing Red Hat 8.0 and clicked on Web Servers/Services/etc in
the install script and I selected Apache and all available PHP
options.  But I was surprised to find out that RH8 is using Apache 2.0
and then offering PHP modules, presumably mod_php, which to my
knowledge isnt stabilized for Apache 2?

Does anyone know if RH did some sort massaging of the code to get it
to work..or did they just push the modules together hoping it would
work?

Thanks in advance

Cyrus

2. Default kernel parameters with Lilo

3. Red Hat 8.0 / Apache 2.0.43 permission denied

4. Halt when installing Linux

5. Red Hat 8.0 Apache and Microsoft .NET

6. Ximian Gnome 1.4 on RH Linux 7.0 -- Install problems

7. Apache 2.0.40 with PHP 4.2.2 on Red Hat 8.0 Linux

8. Red Hat 6.0 and ZIP Drive

9. Apache 2.0 Displays Test Page on Named based virtual hosts

10. Apache : Red Hat Secure 2.0 : J-Run //AAGGH!

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. Red Hat/Apache/Front Page Extensions

13. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.