Which FS?

Post by Yan Seine » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:27:24

I am curious - there are now three alternatives for a replacement of ext:
 reiserfs, ext3, and xfs.

What are the benefits of each?

This is not a call for a holy war!  Just for information.

--Yan

Which FS?

Post by Cyberbea » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 23:03:55

Quote:> I am curious - there are now three alternatives for a replacement of ext:
>  reiserfs, ext3, and xfs.

> What are the benefits of each?

> This is not a call for a holy war!  Just for information.

> --Yan

Check out this link:

www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs.html

It is a series of articles on linux file systems. It might be
more than you want/need to know. But interesting reading anyway!

Which FS?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:03:50

> I am curious - there are now three alternatives for a replacement of ext:
>  reiserfs, ext3, and xfs.

And JFS.

Quote:> What are the benefits of each?

In my experience, ext2 is good for filesystems needing a stable but fairly low overhead, such as / and
/boot.

XFS is extremely stable, but it doesn't journal open files, so it's good on big system partitions that
don't change much.

ReiserFS is extremely fast with small files (check out the benchmarks at
http://www.reiserfs.org/benchmarks/benchmark-results.html to see some actual numbers), and does journal
open files. It's good for partitions like /home and /var.

JFS from what I've seen is the least capable of all the journaling filesystems, but it's still useful.
It is reasonably fast, and quite stable. I currently have it running on /opt and /tmp just as an
experiment, with no trouble.

I've never gotten the ext3 kernel patches to compile, so I can't comment on ext3.

Quote:> This is not a call for a holy war!  Just for information.

You _do_ know that's just what it's going to turn into, though, don't you? :)

--

Which FS?

Post by Randy Crawfor » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:00:51

The best case against XFS is: SGI has dropped much of its support for Linux,
and it's impossible to upgrade your Linux kernel if you're using XFS,
without SGI's assistance.  (Perhaps this has improved more recently, but
IMHO, depending on SGI's continued participation in Linux is unsafe.)

I used XFS for over 6 months, and it worked well.  But with the availability
of ext3fs now in Linux 2.4.16, I switched.

I'm not aware of where reiserfs stands today, but a couple of months ago
it didn't support NFS properly.

Another feature of ext3fs is that you can always regress to ext2fs simply
by editing fstab and changing all mentions of ext3 to ext2.

    Randy

--
Randy Crawford       http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/cpc