Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by David Zarnitz » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

This problem just cropped up recently .. and I have no clue why.

Regular login works
Telneting in over an Ethernet network connection works
But the Dial-In login doesn't work
THe modem connects and then just sits there.

I have the following line in my inittab file:
d2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS1

am I doing something wrong ... is there something that I'm missing?
Thanks

--
+--[From the Brilliant Mind of David Zarnitzky, Scary Huh?]--+
|                   Phil Gramm for President                 |

Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by Bas Wildem » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Modem picks up but no login!!!
>Date: 3 Jul 1995 15:08:47 -0400
>This problem just cropped up recently .. and I have no clue why.
>Regular login works
>Telneting in over an Ethernet network connection works
>But the Dial-In login doesn't work
>THe modem connects and then just sits there.

I had a similar problem. It was in the setup of the dailed modem.
after resetting it to it's factory defaults, everything worked okay.

Greetings,

Bas Wildeman

Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by Mule » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

personally, i use uugetty.  agetty is...  well, something i don't want to
use to put it simply. you can d/l gettyps from sunsite if you don't
already have it laying around on your system.  look at the gettyps
mini-howto to see how to set it up.  i have no problems with dial in on my
Linux system, and i'm alternately using kernels 1.2.1, 1.2.11, and 1.3.6.
SLIP even works great.  uugetty comes with sample config scripts to help
you out.

Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by Norman E. Anders » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>This problem just cropped up recently .. and I have no clue why.

>Regular login works
>Telneting in over an Ethernet network connection works
>But the Dial-In login doesn't work
>THe modem connects and then just sits there.

>I have the following line in my inittab file:
>d2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS1

>am I doing something wrong ... is there something that I'm missing?
>Thanks

I had quite a time getting agetty to work with dialin.  My problem was
that the agetty docs assume you will use a different connection speed
depending on what speed connection the modems make.  I wanted to use a
constant 38400 instead.  I had to set up agetty to only use 38400 and set
up the modem to *not* report the connection speed, since if it did agetty
would either drop the connection rate or use the modem message as a login
name.  Another problem was that agetty does not provide a way to
initialize the modem, so I had to set my desired settings in the modem's
firmware and set the modem's dips to reset to the firmware settings
instead of factory settings.  A pain, but it worked.

I have downloaded gettyps and plan to switch to that, but haven't yet.
Partly because I have to undo the strange mode I put the modem in
first...

--SPC

Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by David Ada » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

We are having the same problem, well sort of.  The modem picks up, the
connection is made, we get the initial login text:

        Welcome to xxxx

        login:

but at this point, the login process does not start up.

Is there a file that controls the ttys that the login can service?
Is it a modem config problem?
Is it a line config problem?

Both agetty and getty_ps work fine from the console ttys, but both
refuse the dial up login.

Post or email is welcome.

        Thanks

David B. Adams                  \|/
Jugular                         -0-
                                ___

                             ---------

Modem picks up but no login!!!

Post by Timothy Murp » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Both agetty and getty_ps work fine from the console ttys, but both
>refuse the dial up login.

Try mgetty.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. Modem picks up but no login!!!!

This problem just cropped up recently .. and I have no clue why.

Regular login works
Telneting in over an Ethernet network connection works
But the Dial-In login doesn't work
THe modem connects and then just sits there.

I have the following line in my inittab file:
d2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS1

am I doing something wrong ... is there something that I'm missing?
Thanks

--
+--[From the Brilliant Mind of David Zarnitzky, Scary Huh?]--+
|                   Phil Gramm for President                 |
+--[Vote for a Democrat, its easier than getting a job]------+

2. Booting problems with 3.1rR

3. AWE32 PNP

4. Config for dialin....modem not picking up....agetty or modem?

5. backups - software and hardware

6. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. xdm login not picking up changes to users shell

9. modem won't pick up call with uugetty

10. MODEM KEEPS PICKING UP..

11. Simple question - my modem won't pick up

12. Updated Tier1's, etc, RH6.0, help me pick a modem/vcard ;-]