how-to develop?

Post by Nicola Attic » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm serching for a word of advice.
I'm searching for a project to work at
(starting from zero [maybe better] or
running).
The point is that I've not strong C
knowledge, so I would like to learn...
Anyway I'm not a total unable
and I've years of experience using
Linux and some practice in administration...
I think moreover that the better way
to learn how to write software is to write
it, so I would like to learn doing it!
So, I'm searching for a *baby* project,
where it is possible to learn...

Does it exists?

Thanks,

        Nicola

how-to develop?

Post by Nigel Kukar » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm serching for a word of advice.
> I'm searching for a project to work at
> (starting from zero [maybe better] or
> running).
> The point is that I've not strong C
> knowledge, so I would like to learn...
> Anyway I'm not a total unable
> and I've years of experience using
> Linux and some practice in administration...
> I think moreover that the better way
> to learn how to write software is to write
> it, so I would like to learn doing it!
> So, I'm searching for a *baby* project,
> where it is possible to learn...

> Does it exists?

> Thanks,

>         Nicola

Are you looking for a job or just summin to do to help u learn?  :-)

Regards
Nigel

how-to develop?

Post by Nicola Attic » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I'm serching for a word of advice.
> > I'm searching for a project to work at
> > (starting from zero [maybe better] or
> > running).
> > The point is that I've not strong C
> > knowledge, so I would like to learn...
> > Anyway I'm not a total unable
> > and I've years of experience using
> > Linux and some practice in administration...
> > I think moreover that the better way
> > to learn how to write software is to write
> > it, so I would like to learn doing it!
> > So, I'm searching for a *baby* project,
> > where it is possible to learn...

> > Does it exists?

> > Thanks,

> >         Nicola
> Are you looking for a job or just summin to do to help u learn?  :-)

...the second you said :-/

No, really, try to explain me apart being sarcastic...

Cheers,

        Nicola

how-to develop?

Post by John Gluc » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm serching for a word of advice.
> I'm searching for a project to work at
> (starting from zero [maybe better] or
> running).
> The point is that I've not strong C
> knowledge, so I would like to learn...
> Anyway I'm not a total unable
> and I've years of experience using
> Linux and some practice in administration...
> I think moreover that the better way
> to learn how to write software is to write
> it, so I would like to learn doing it!
> So, I'm searching for a *baby* project,
> where it is possible to learn...

> Does it exists?

> Thanks,

>         Nicola

I think a good way to get started is to take a simple utility program
that exists. Get the source and try to add a feature or 2 to it.

After trying to do something like that a few times, you'll start getting
the hang of things.

The next step is to try and write a small program from scratch. What you
do doesn't need to be useful for any purpose other than to help you
learn.

An example of such a program is a program that simulates a lottery
drawing. It picks say 6 random numbers from a possible 76 and lists the
results in ascending order. It's a useless program but it gets you using
things like the random number generator and doing a sort.

--
John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

1. All text versions of ISP Hookup How-To are missing text? ?? WAS Warning!!!: Cheapbytes How-To docs are missing random text!

ftp://ftp.kempf.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/doc/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-H...
ftp://ftp.kempf.com/pub/linux/redhat/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/redhat-6.0...
ftp://ftp.kempf.com/pub/linux/redhat/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/current/i3...
ftp://ftp.kempf.com/pub/redhat/current/i386/doc/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/doc/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO

        I started checking on the ftp sites, and found that the text
versions of those docs are missing the same text, namely important file
names, and paths for configuration of one's internet dial-up connection,
and this could be a problem, since the text version is the one that is
installed to the /usr/docs/ subdirectory during the installation.

        I even went and checked the author's webpage and the copy on his
web page is the same, with the .html version having all the paths and
filenames, andthe text version missing many of them.

ftp://ftp.sol.no/user/egilk/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.txt

        I've contacted the author about this, and post this message in
hopes that it will save someone from wasting 4-5 months trying to get a
machine online, like I did.

Allen

(email addy; furnished upon request?)

2. utmp -- when are entries inserted ?

3. *I Develop FAT LFN support (w95)

4. console.c unblank_screen problem

5. Applications to Develop - What is needed

6. CD-ROM Jukebox experience

7. Developing code for ia64

8. SCSI problem during install, Redhat Linux 5.1

9. Device Drivers Developing Problems

10. Using Linux to develop Sun X-app

11. First steps in developing C++ apps in linux

12. Newbie getting started developing in X

13. developing window managers