Custom login prompt...

Post by Rick Carlso » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks.
I already made the modifications to mingetty.
I haven't touched login or the other getty variants just yet, but the
mingetty works well.
I have uploaded the modified source code to my home page here:
http://freeweb.pdq.net/rickc/linux/esgetty/esgetty.zip

>> I would like to modify the login prompt to display an interactive menu
using
>> ncurses.
>> Apparently, I did not install the source code, and I don't know where I
put
>> the CD's.
>> Can anyone point me to the exact location to download the source for the
>> mingetty program?
>> I am running RedHat 5.2 (Apollo), with Linux kernal 2.0.36 on an Intel
>> Pentium.

>> Remove the obvious ".spamsucks" from my E-mail address to reply directly
>> me.

>> Thanks,

>> Rick Carlson
>> Houston, TX.

>There are a BAZILLION places. The www.redhat.com has a downloads area, so
does
>www.cdrom.com, and each list mirrors as well.

>--
>Mike Lockhart
>        -- Without Software, it's just a paper weight.

1. Custom login prompt...

The file your talking about is /etc/issue - this file is generated by a script
and displayed when your prompted to log in.  You don;t need to go mucking
around the source code for mingetty.

/etc/rc.d/rc.local - that generates /etc/issue Here's my rc.local file.  All
I did was put a quote from a Metallica song in there, not to hard to do...

#!/bin/sh

# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]; then
    R=$(cat /etc/redhat-release)

    arch=$(uname -m)
    a="a"
    case "_$arch" in
            _a*) a="an";;
            _i*) a="an";;
    esac

    # This will overwrite /etc/issue at every boot.  So, make any changes you
    # want to make to /etc/issue here or you will lose them when you reboot.
    echo "" > /etc/issue
    echo "$R" >> /etc/issue
    echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue
    echo "" >> /etc/issue
    echo "Where I lay my head is home" >> /etc/issue

    cp -f /etc/issue /etc/issue.net
    echo >> /etc/issue
fi

2. gnome 1.0.5 with Japanese

3. How can I change text login in prompt to GUI login prompt

4. Problem porting AIX to Windows

5. Changing login prompt (NOT motd or shell prompt)

6. Do Linux & FreeBSD share a file system type?

7. How to change the login prompt to username prompt ?

8. compile error 2.4.19 linux/arch/kernel/traps.c

9. Getting from the ok prompt to the OS login prompt?

10. New Login Prompt after Login Attempt HELP!!!

11. Modifying system login banner/login prompt

12. Unable to login at login prompt - not even root

13. problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name