Keyboard configuration on monkey distrtibution

Keyboard configuration on monkey distrtibution

Post by Jean-Paul OLIVIE » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Do you have an idea about how to parameter the keyboard on linux with a
monkey distribution ?

For information :
I have installed a monkey distribution on a machine wich have an ESDI
disk drive.
The main reason to choice monkey distribution is that this distribution
is using a dos directory (the ESDI drive is not recognised by the probe
during the installation using a no dos partition).

Now linux is loading on my machine I am able to ping an other host from
it. The next step is to make the keyboard compatible with an AZERTY one.
My project is to propose a server running sendmail and web servers (with
the less money possible) to interconnect primary schools.

If somebody have an idea about my keyboard issue, it will save me some
time.
Thanks in advance
Jean-Paul

Post by peter campbel » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Do you have an idea about how to parameter the keyboard on linux with a
> monkey distribution ?

> For information :
> I have installed a monkey distribution on a machine wich have an ESDI
> disk drive.
> The main reason to choice monkey distribution is that this distribution
> is using a dos directory (the ESDI drive is not recognised by the probe
> during the installation using a no dos partition).

> Now linux is loading on my machine I am able to ping an other host from
> it. The next step is to make the keyboard compatible with an AZERTY one.
> My project is to propose a server running sendmail and web servers (with
> the less money possible) to interconnect primary schools.

> If somebody have an idea about my keyboard issue, it will save me some
> time.
> Thanks in advance
> Jean-Paul

I am guessing you are french.  Have you read the french how-to about
customising keyboard mappings etc.?  It was useful for me.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/French-HOWTO-1.html

The website www.freenix.fr/linux also has translated howto's and french
ftp sites.

Good Luck

Peter
Good Luck.

1. keyboard configuration under X

        Hi,
        I have a question on the keyborad setting under X. I have a
french keyboard and have put in my XF86Config, the following lines
(among other)

    RightCtl    Compose
#    XkbDisable
    XkbLayout   "fr"
    XkbModel    "pc102"

It works but the Right-Control key does not act as the compose key as
it should. It does not produce any thing: under xemacs typing M-x
describe-key and then this key, I get nothing while with other key I
get the description of the key.

On a whim, I change "fr" into "fr-latin1" (since my keymap under
console is fr-latin1) and suddenly I have the compose key (of
Multi_key as is called by X). But after exiting from X, I see this
message error.

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

So the error actually help me beacuse I got the key I need.

My questions are: what is the "pre-XKB keymap" and how I can get it
without resorting to this kind of error. Any way, I dont want to let
xkbcomp compiles a keymap which prevent me using the Compose key !

Another question concerning the "XkbDisable" line. I have in my
Xmodmap the following

keycode 115 = Mode_switch

If I left this line commented out, it works: I have another key which
act as Altgr but is more convenient for me since it is on the left.
However, if I left this line uncommented (as is set by default), this
key does nothing, *even that xev reports that it is a Mode_switch key*

The problem is that I can't find any documentation on this topic. The
manpage on XF86Config describes the options in the keyboard section
but never say what they do. It does not even say what are the
permitted strings for XkbLayout for exemple. How one can guess ?

Thank for any info.

Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble cedex (France)   | Fax: +33 4 76 63 12 63

2. Diamond ViperVLB. Not PCI...(XFree86 3.1)

3. G3 powerbook keyboard configuration

4. verify tapes

5. Keyboard configuration "Tab and ESC keys"

6. Online Payment Methods for Linux

7. Keyboard and Mouse configuration..

8. NAT and static addresses in one physical ethernet network

9. Keyboard configuration

10. keyboard configuration

11. Keyboard configuration

12. : Belgian keyboard configuration