CR-574 CDROM configuration?

Post by Thomas Charles CONW » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi

I have a SoundBlaster16 with a quad-speed cdrom. The
model of the cdrom drive is CR-574. I've reconfigured the
kernel to include the driver for soundblaster cdroms, but
the autoprobing fails to find the drive.

I notice in the README in the drivers/block dir of the
kernel sources that a number of CR-XXX drives are mentioned,
but the CR-574 is not. Does this mean that I'll need a
newer version of the driver? Is the CR-574 supported yet?

thanks for any info,
Thomas

1. panasonic cr-574 cdrom (problem?)

         When installing linux I was able to force detection of my
panasonic/matsushita cr-574 atapi cdrom-drive by typing "ramdisk
hdd=cdrom" at the ramdisk parameter prompt.    All the references I've
read recommend "hdc=cdrom" for systems with a single hard drive &
single cdrom drive like mine has, but that doesn't work. The
manufacturer of my p-75 pc says that they jumpered the cdrom as
master, so i don't think that's an issue.   Anyway I successfully
installed the rest of the system from my cdrom drive with that boot
parameter .
        When I start linux with my lilo boot disk it still fails to
detect my cdrom unless I type "mount hdd=cdrom" at its parameter
prompt.  However, this unleashes a series of error messages during
boot, which I transcribe below.  Apart from that, it seems to be
running fine, doesn't hang, etc.

Boot messages seem to go fine until:

eth0: ewrk3_probe(): Detetected a device already registered at 0x160
eth0: ewrk3_probe(): Detetected a device already registered at 0x2e0
eth0: ewrk3_probe(): Detetected a device already registered at 0x360
eth0: ewrk3_probe(): Detetected a device already registered at 0x3a0
eth0: ewrk3_probe(): Detetected a device already registered at 0x3c0

Then everything goes swimmingly until:

Partition check
hda: multiple mode turned off
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
hdc: bad access: block=0, count=2
end_request:  I/O error, dev 1600, sector 0
     unable to read partition table of device 1600
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
hdd;media changed
VFS: Disk change detected on device 22/64

etc.

translation?   Why is it probing for an an hdc "partition" ? What is
the meaning "of I/O error, dev 1600, sector 0 unable to read partition
table of device 1600"  and of the earlier " Detetected a device
already registered " messages?

As I understand it, my cdrom drive is interfaced with my soundblaster
16 card, but is not the type that requires the sbpcd kernal, as it is
an atapi cdrom.  I used the idecd kernal.  Is my cdrom regarded as a
_second_ hard drive on a second ide controller whose primary interface
is occupied by this phantom hdc device/partition?  If this is the
case, will it cause problems down the road?

2. free report

3. CR-574 CDROM working

4. Solaris Volume Manager and inetd

5. Problem with Matushita CR-574 CDROM -- anyone have working 4X drives?

6. burner problem

7. CDROM drivers for CR-574

8. Mount Iomega ZIP100

9. SB16 quad-speed CDROM (CR-574) not detected

10. Installing from Matashi/Panasonic CD-ROM CR-574 plugged into Sound Blaster 32

11. Creative CR-574

12. HELP with CD Matshita CR-574

13. Matshita CD-ROM CR-574