sensitivity of motherboards

Post by Sheldon E. Newhou » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have just gone through my 3rd motherboard.  Basically, it seems that swapping
cards in and out and adding ide disks has trashed the BIOS.  The motherboard
is an Intel Atlantis, Triton Chipset for P5-133.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  Any suggestions about what might be done
to prevent this?

Thanks in advance.

-sen

sensitivity of motherboards

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have just gone through my 3rd motherboard.  Basically, it seems that
swapping
>cards in and out and adding ide disks has trashed the BIOS.  The motherboard
>is an Intel Atlantis, Triton Chipset for P5-133.

>Has anyone else had similar problems?  Any suggestions about what might be
done
>to prevent this?

Were you wearing an earthing strap while doing this?

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

Post by Nigel A Ranto » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have just gone through my 3rd motherboard.  Basically, it seems that swapping
> cards in and out and adding ide disks has trashed the BIOS.  The motherboard
> is an Intel Atlantis, Triton Chipset for P5-133.

> Has anyone else had similar problems?  Any suggestions about what might be done
> to prevent this?

Wow! Your THIRD? What do you do...eat them? (sorry, sorry, couldn't
resist bringing my greandmother's favourite phrase out of the cupboard)

How can swapping cards in and out trash a board? How can adding hard
drives trash a board? Unless you are changing things <<all the time>>
then I have no idea why they're getting trashed, I'd just like to know
how you're treating them.

Erm, also, whats your definition of trashed?

 Nige

Nigel Rantor - WEB Ltd

tel    - (+44|0)181-960-3050 fax    - (+44|0)181-960-xxxx

"philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our
 intelligence by means of language"
               Wittgenstein L J J - Philosophical Investigations

Post by Mats Andtbac » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>I have just gone through my 3rd motherboard.  Basically, it seems
>>that swapping cards in and out and adding ide disks has trashed the
>>BIOS.  The motherboard is an Intel Atlantis, Triton Chipset for
>>P5-133.
>Wow! Your THIRD? What do you do...eat them?

i've gone through... hold on... five? seven? something like that.
'course, the first one was an 8088. :-)

and i've never heard of swapping hardware destroying the BIOS. new
hardware not working with old BIOSes, yes, got bitten by that one
first time back in 286 days; old EPROM BIOSes giving up the ghost,
i've heard second-hand stories of, motherboards being plain broken
such that the BIOS works but nothing else, happened to me. but not
hardware changes destroying software in nonvolatile memory.

and i've heard Bad Things about Intel motherboards, like everybody
else has - i'd never touch them myself, too name-brand. but not a BIOS
going gradually bad like that, no.
--
        "...Everybody got this broken feeling
         like their father or their dog just died..."

Post by Friedhelm Mehne » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have just gone through my 3rd motherboard.  Basically, it seems that swapping
> cards in and out and adding ide disks has trashed the BIOS.  The motherboard
> is an Intel Atlantis, Triton Chipset for P5-133.

Perhaps switching off your computer before swapping boards helps ? :-)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
"whitespace.de" is a bogus address. I'm only temporary connectet
to the internet via a slow ppp link.

1. Motherboards, Motherboards ...

Sorry, my news machine has been off the air for the past few days (for
upgrading) so I've missed bits of this thread.  I did receive some
interesting email, though.

I finally decided to  *do*  something about getting a new motherboard,
and after wading through lots of data and a few kind words of advice,
I decided on ...

.. a Tyan VLB 486DX2/66 with the SIS chipset.   No big deal, except
perhaps for the 1 MByte of CPU cache.  It should be interesting to see
if all that cache helps Linux performance.  I got an ATI VLB Ultra to
go with it.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a known-good VLB SCSI card ??

It's too soon to consider PCI and Pentium, what with the processor and
bus wars breaking out all over.  My spare tower case waits for the
shakeout.    :-)

I won't have the time to get the board installed for another couple of
weeks, but if I encounter difficulties, I'll post them.

Thanks to all who responded,

Chuck.

2. Whats a good book for the beginner linux programmer?

3. Free Motherboard from Motherboard HomeWorld & Epox

4. Can RH 7.3 act as a windows XP domain server?

5. On-board Motherboard Modem (Motherboard=748MLRT) - does it work with Linux?

6. gopherd

7. Adjusting Mouse Acceleration and Sensitivity.

8. Starting the environment - Newbie!

9. Mouse Sensitivity Adjustment

10. Data sensitivity in SCCS

11. Mouse Sensitivity in X

12. mouse sensitivity

13. how to set the mouse sensitivity automatically running X?