xmms problem

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I've not been having an easy time with xmms at all. The earlier
version I had ( .95-1) was* in the middle of playing mp3's
inexplicably. Now I have a newer version. 1.01-1 ( using the rpm from
the xmms.org site). The problem now is that xmms suddenly starts "fast
forwarding" the song in the middle of playing an mp3.  I am running on
a Mandrake 7.0 system with celeron 366, 128Meg RAM, on-board c-media
8338 sound chip, a PCI Symbios 53c875 SCSI controller with a Seagate
SCSI HD ( I read on Deja that   SCSI  could be the problem
sometimes. I am not quite sure how though?). And yes, the SCSI card
and the sound chip ARE sharing IRQ's. But I don't see how that would
cause the problem I'm seeing??

   It's quite annoying. I have been reduced to use an old  pentium 75
running win95 as my "reliable" mp3 player. Deja seems to show a lot
of people having problems with xmms. Any hints would be appreciated.
Chetan

xmms problem

Post by Reid Sutherlan » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

XMMS is fine. Sharing IRQs between your sound card and SCSI card is a
dangerous game. Best thing to do is move one or the other to another IRQ.

See what happens.

Quote:> I've not been having an easy time with xmms at all. The earlier
> version I had ( .95-1) was* in the middle of playing mp3's
> inexplicably. Now I have a newer version. 1.01-1 ( using the rpm from
> the xmms.org site). The problem now is that xmms suddenly starts "fast
> forwarding" the song in the middle of playing an mp3.  I am running on
> a Mandrake 7.0 system with celeron 366, 128Meg RAM, on-board c-media
> 8338 sound chip, a PCI Symbios 53c875 SCSI controller with a Seagate
> SCSI HD ( I read on Deja that   SCSI  could be the problem
> sometimes. I am not quite sure how though?). And yes, the SCSI card
> and the sound chip ARE sharing IRQ's. But I don't see how that would
> cause the problem I'm seeing??

>    It's quite annoying. I have been reduced to use an old  pentium 75
> running win95 as my "reliable" mp3 player. Deja seems to show a lot
> of people having problems with xmms. Any hints would be appreciated.
> Chetan

xmms problem

Post by Robert Ham » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

:
: I've not been having an easy time with xmms at all. The earlier
: version I had ( .95-1) was* in the middle of playing mp3's
: inexplicably. Now I have a newer version. 1.01-1 ( using the rpm from
: the xmms.org site). The problem now is that xmms suddenly starts "fast
: forwarding" the song in the middle of playing an mp3.

When I upgraded to xmms-1.0.1 all my mp3's played fast.  Deleting
the old ~/.xmms helped.

rh

xmms problem

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> XMMS is fine. Sharing IRQs between your sound card and SCSI card is a
> dangerous game. Best thing to do is move one or the other to another IRQ.
> See what happens.

  Well...Maybe you're right.  I tried freeamp and still getting the
  same problems. Since my soundchip is on the motherboard, and no way
  in the BIOS to change it's configuration,  I'm not
  sure if there's a way for me to remove the IRQ conflict short of
  opening the computer and changing the PCI slot of the card?? If
  anybody knows of another, better way... please let me know...

   Chetan

xmms problem

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> XMMS is fine. Sharing IRQs between your sound card and SCSI card is a
>> dangerous game. Best thing to do is move one or the other to another IRQ.
>> See what happens.
>   Well...Maybe you're right.  I tried freeamp and still getting the
>   same problems. Since my soundchip is on the motherboard, and no way
>   in the BIOS to change it's configuration,  I'm not
>   sure if there's a way for me to remove the IRQ conflict short of
>   opening the computer and changing the PCI slot of the card?? If
>   anybody knows of another, better way... please let me know...
>    Chetan

  Sorry to be following up to my own message, but there DOES seem to
  be some sort of bug in both xmms and freeamp. I ran a bunch of mp3's
  using mpg123 and a shell script ( simulating a playlist) and it ran
  without a hitch... mutiple times... so.. I guess the hardware is
  fine.  I'll file a bug  report with the xmms author. Don't have time
  right now to fire up the de* and wait for an unpredictable hang
  to happen. In the   meantime, if anybody has any  idea why xmms is
  showing these problems ( i.e. as described in the first post of this
  thread) , please let me know. Shell scripts are fine but I'd really
  like to get xmms to work properly.

   Chetan

xmms problem

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>  Well...Maybe you're right.  I tried freeamp and still getting the
>  same problems. Since my soundchip is on the motherboard, and no way
>  in the BIOS to change it's configuration,  I'm not
>  sure if there's a way for me to remove the IRQ conflict short of
>  opening the computer and changing the PCI slot of the card??

Onboard devices typically have a section in the BIOS where you can change
their configuration.

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.2.14

1. xmms problem

    I've installed the port of xmms and it compiles fine. When I run it
though, it doesn't except any event by the mouse. It just sits there.
There are no errors when i run it except that. I had been running
XFree86 3.3.4, but upgraded to 3.3.5 and it still wont work after
rebuildng the port. I'm running WindowMaker 0.60
Has anyone else had this problem...and more importantly a solution to
it?

thanks in advance

2. STL implementation problem ..

3. Strange XMMS Problem

4. Church of the Root.. (A must read!)

5. another xmms-problem with avi/mpeg/divx

6. Please Help with buffered serial I/O in SunOS

7. Rh 8.0 xmms problems

8. CD-ROM troubles

9. xmms problem under GNOME, mcop, arts_init

10. xmms problem

11. xmms problem RH8.0

12. Funky XMMS problem

13. xmms problems with 3.9.16