Kernel Panic: unable to load root fs

Post by Agon » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:12:44

Hello,

I installed Redhat 7.2. on an older Compaq server Proliant 2500. After
installation I tried to boot my server, it booted the kernel but then
stopped with a kernel panic "Unable to load root fs".
I guess my bootloader doesn't point to the correct "root-device"? My
server has an Raid5 array with a Compaq Array controller: Smart-2/P
The root device is set to: "/dev/ida/c0d0p1"
Does anyone know to what device my root filesystem must point?
Maybe it is possible to make a bootable disk of some kind for my system? Or
do I just need to specify the correct filesystem at boottime with an
"root=/dev/xxx" string?

Some advice would be appreciated.
Kind regards

Kernel Panic: unable to load root fs

Post by Tauno Voipi » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:03:46

Quote:> Hello,

> I installed Redhat 7.2. on an older Compaq server Proliant 2500. After
> installation I tried to boot my server, it booted the kernel but then
> stopped with a kernel panic "Unable to load root fs".
> I guess my bootloader doesn't point to the correct "root-device"? My
> server has an Raid5 array with a Compaq Array controller: Smart-2/P
> The root device is set to: "/dev/ida/c0d0p1"
> Does anyone know to what device my root filesystem must point?
> Maybe it is possible to make a bootable disk of some kind for my system?
Or
> do I just need to specify the correct filesystem at boottime with an
> "root=/dev/xxx" string?

1. The boot kernel does not point to the proper root device. It may be a
little problematic due to the kernel source contains the list of valid root
device names passed as parameters.

2. The RAID controller may need a special device driver not in the boot
kernel.

3. The drive name may be in dynamically-built names. Is there the devfs
option in the kernel configuration?

The problems may be solved by an initial ramdisk.

The Bootdisk-HOWTO and BootPrompt-HOWTO may be informative as starters.

HTH

Tauno Voipio

1. Kernel panic "unable to load root fs"/making bootdisk

Hello,

I installed Redhat 7.2. on an older Compaq server Proliant 2500. After
installation I tried to boot my server, it booted the kernel but then
stopped with a kernel panic "Unable to load root fs".
I guess my bootloader doesn't point to the correct "root-device"? Since my
server has an Raid5 array I guess it must point to /dev/sda1 or something?
Is there a way to make a bootdisk so that I can make changes in the
bootloader or can I pass options to Grub so that I can change the root fs?

Other advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

2. OS/2, Win95, Linux?

3. kernel panic:unable to mount root on fs (kernel-2.4.21)

4. VGA driver

5. Help! Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs??

6. QUEST: TCP/IP (UNIX) access to Novell volumes (Telnet, ftp,NFS mount?)

7. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

8. SHM_SHARE_MMU in Linux shared memory?

9. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

10. Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on 03:07

11. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

12. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs

13. 2.3.99-4-2: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ....