Looking for clock.

Post by Thaddeus L Olczy » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:08:59

I'm looking for a program that will display clocks in multiple
timezones. I've search *almost* everywhere. ( Part of the problem
is that I don't really have an idea what keywords I should search for.
) Can anyone help?

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Looking for clock.

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:29:41

> I'm looking for a program that will display clocks in multiple
> timezones. I've search *almost* everywhere. ( Part of the problem
> is that I don't really have an idea what keywords I should search for.

     How about "clock" and "timezone"?

Quote:> ) Can anyone help?

#!/bin/sh
TZ=PST8PDT xclock -name "San Francisco" 2> /dev/null &
TZ=EST5EDT xclock -name "Toronto" 2> /dev/null &
# etc....

    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2003, Chris F.A. Johnson

Looking for clock.

Post by Roodwri.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:34:53

>> I'm looking for a program that will display clocks in multiple
>> timezones. I've search *almost* everywhere. ( Part of the problem
>> is that I don't really have an idea what keywords I should search for.

>      How about "clock" and "timezone"?

>> ) Can anyone help?

> #!/bin/sh
> TZ=PST8PDT xclock -name "San Francisco" 2> /dev/null &
> TZ=EST5EDT xclock -name "Toronto" 2> /dev/null &
> # etc....

Great idea, Chris.

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.

Looking for clock.

Post by Thaddeus L Olczy » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:50:32

On 24 Jun 2003 22:29:41 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"

>> I'm looking for a program that will display clocks in multiple
>> timezones. I've search *almost* everywhere. ( Part of the problem
>> is that I don't really have an idea what keywords I should search for.

>     How about "clock" and "timezone"?

>> ) Can anyone help?

>#!/bin/sh
>TZ=PST8PDT xclock -name "San Francisco" 2> /dev/null &
>TZ=EST5EDT xclock -name "Toronto" 2> /dev/null &
># etc....

Yeah that works. Except for one thing. The man page is outdated.
It claims you can only reset some properties by setting the resources.
( * since I wanted different countries with different background
colors, and I generally prefer my backgrounds dark. )
Turns out that I can set them from the commandline.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Looking for clock.

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:22:33

>>> I'm looking for a program that will display clocks in multiple
>>> timezones. I've search *almost* everywhere. ( Part of the problem
>>> is that I don't really have an idea what keywords I should search for.

>>      How about "clock" and "timezone"?

>>> ) Can anyone help?

>> #!/bin/sh
>> TZ=PST8PDT xclock -name "San Francisco" 2> /dev/null &
>> TZ=EST5EDT xclock -name "Toronto" 2> /dev/null &
>> # etc....

> Great idea, Chris.

     I can't take the credit; it took a couple of minutes to google
     for clock and timezone.

Post by Szomraky Stefa » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:29:58

>>#!/bin/sh
>>TZ=PST8PDT xclock -name "San Francisco" 2> /dev/null &
>>TZ=EST5EDT xclock -name "Toronto" 2> /dev/null &
>># etc....

> Yeah that works. Except for one thing. The man page is outdated.
> It claims you can only reset some properties by setting the resources.
> ( * since I wanted different countries with different background
> colors, and I generally prefer my backgrounds dark. )
> Turns out that I can set them from the commandline.

The sources for xclock are freely available.
Download 'em and customize xclock for your needs.

1. Looking for an analogue clock

Hello,

I'm looking for a fancy clock for x. I tried the EMI Clock, but it
didn't fit in very well with the rest of my desktop layout and xclock
is too borring to look at, so does anyone here have a suggestion for a
fancy-looking analogue clock?

Thanks
/Peter

2. Shutting down Apache on Win98

3. Looking for article on keeping UNIX boxes clocks in synch

4. Shells

5. Looking for the clock rates for a NEC 4DS 16" monitor

6. lk maintainers

7. Looking for utility to read the svga clocks under windows

8. need tn3270

9. looking for alarm clock

10. Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock?

11. Want to have an atomic clock sync your Linux box clock ?

12. system clock/bios clock setting

13. linux clock off by four hours from mac clock