Problems installing X on Red Hat Linux

Post by Charles C. Shy » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

I can't get X to install properly on my PII-333 system running RH Linux 5.1.
I've tried running both the VGA and SVGA X Servers, but get error messages
saying I don't have enough video memory.  It thinks I have 64K which is
strange.  I have a STB Nitro DVD AGP 4 MB (Gateway OEM) video card.  The
manual says that version 5.1 supports AGP, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm wondering if the problem could be that I have a Creative Voodoo^2 card,
and that the STB video card runs via a passthrough connector, and that maybe
the OS can't properly "see" the primary video card (the STB).  Could this be
it?  I did run the custom installation and tell the install program that my
video card has 4 MB memory, but it doesn't want to acknowledge that fact.
Would upgrading to version 6.0 help?  What other workarounds are possible?
Thank you very much.
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://soma.npa.uiuc.edu/labs/mgabriel/shyu/shyu.html

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Patch FIOFLUSH

3. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

4. SparcLinux Kernel Crash

5. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

6. Support for SYM53C1010?

7. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

8. EUREKA-PPP Works: Here's How!

9. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

10. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

11. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

12. Newbie problem: Installing Red Hat Linux...

13. Red Hat Linux 7 Install problem (two HDs)