Interesting ways to kill Linux?

Post by bdg198 » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for some really fun and inventive ways to kill of an old and
broken distro of linux.  I know I can do the usual rm -rf / but I want to
do something really fun. I heard that you can do something like pass it to
/dev/random or something like that to have it erase random files, how would
one do that? Keep in mind I don't want the hardware damaged; ie no magnets
to the hard drive.  Fun and inventive ways would be appreciated, thanks!

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I'm looking for some really fun and inventive ways to kill of an old and
>broken distro of linux.  I know I can do the usual rm -rf / but I want to
>do something really fun. I heard that you can do something like pass it to
>/dev/random or something like that to have it erase random files, how would
>one do that? Keep in mind I don't want the hardware damaged; ie no magnets
>to the hard drive.  Fun and inventive ways would be appreciated, thanks!

There's a shell script mentioned in "Dr. Linux" that repeatedly echoes 'y'
to the desired output (while true do echo('y');), so you could;

./y > /dev/hda1

Which would likely do some damage. That's about all I know, since I don't
waste my time trying to crack or break systems. (Although I have been accused
of said a few times by a select group of morons ... )

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Post by Karel Janse » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I'm looking for some really fun and inventive ways to kill of an old and
> broken distro of linux.  I know I can do the usual rm -rf / but I want to
> do something really fun. I heard that you can do something like pass it to
> /dev/random or something like that to have it erase random files, how would
> one do that? Keep in mind I don't want the hardware damaged; ie no magnets
> to the hard drive.  Fun and inventive ways would be appreciated, thanks!

Why not do something really cruel and inhuman?
Install Windows 98 over it and watch it crumble and die on a regular
basis (Windows 9x comes with the equivalent of a randomiser built into
the kernel (*)).

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_attglobal_dot_net

(*) Actually, calling the core of Windows 9x a "kernel" is an insult
to all honest kernels out there. Even "core" is stretching it...

  ?
  o                   boot options                    o
  o                                                   o
  o              Please choose from list              o
  o                                                   o
  o               <OS/2>        <linux>               o
  o                                                   o
  o[Remainder O/S automatically removed due to ending o
  o         of advocacy program. No refunds]          o
  ?

If they don't get paid anymore, there's no use mocking them...

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: I'm looking for some really fun and inventive ways to kill of an old and
: broken distro of linux.  I know I can do the usual rm -rf / but I want to
: do something really fun. I heard that you can do something like pass it to
: /dev/random or something like that to have it erase random files, how would
: one do that? Keep in mind I don't want the hardware damaged; ie no magnets

Hmm .. interesting idea. You'd make a list of all the files on your
disk $filelist and then

     total=`wc -l $filelist`
     count=0
     while [ count -lt  $total ]; do
        rand=`rand`
        file=`file $rand`
        [ -e $file ] || continue
        rm -f $file
        count=$[ $count + 1 ]
     done

with some touches like:

     rand() {
       head -4c /dev/random | od -d | head -1 | awk '{ print $2$3 }'
     }

     file() {
       which=$[ $1 % $total ]
       tail +$which $filelist | head -1
     }

Kind of silly. Or you could toss virtual coins.

Peter

1. How many ways to kill a monitor?

How many ways are there to kill a monitor?

The reason I ask is that I recently installed
X and within a few minutes of running X my
monitor's power supply died. (Linux 1.2.13
and Xfree 3.1.2)

After checking the configuration and making
sure I had the X server for my S3 video card,
I could find nothing out of spec with the
monitor.

I know that the horizontal and vertical
frequencies must be correct, but is there
something else that can damage the monitor?
Is there some other critical paramaters
that must be correct in order to ensure
that the monitor is not damaged?

The monitor can tell me the horizontal and vertical
frequencies it is operating at. If I start X and check to be
sure that the frequencies fall within the manual's
spec's, will I be all right?

Thanks in advance
Tom...

2. How to prevent or log root users from editing file

3. KILL KILL KILL

4. ac97_codec.c bombing in 2.4.21-pre7

5. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

6. GCC problems: C++ library linking doesn't work

7. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

8. Memory problem ...

9. How to kill process which not killed by 'kill' ?

10. BG: "To kill Linux, we *must* kill Redhat, probably Caldera too..."

11. Any other ways to link a linux machine to a network

12. Any ways about how to access PCs like Win 95 or NT in Linux?

13. Best ways to increase the security of my linux box