compile kernel, quick question

Post by davidwr » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:48:45

I run Yellow Dog Linux on the PowerPC platform.
I am compiling my first kernel. I am getting the source from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
I am choosing the newest stable release 2.4.19
Since i am on PowerPC and not ix86 do i install the same source kernel,
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/
or do i need a specific port?
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ports/ppc/
which seems to only be 'patches' to the kernel.

TIA

--
-david

Post by Jon Portno » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:04:19

> I run Yellow Dog Linux on the PowerPC platform.
> I am compiling my first kernel. I am getting the source from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
> I am choosing the newest stable release 2.4.19
> Since i am on PowerPC and not ix86 do i install the same source kernel,
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/
> or do i need a specific port?
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ports/ppc/
> which seems to only be 'patches' to the kernel.

> TIA

Same sources. You can choose your arch in the config.

--
Jon Portnoy

1. Quick question regarding user rights and kernel compiling...

                First question...

        I have 2 accounts (other than root) set up on my machine. Both
were set up with adduser. I used userconf to give the first account
superuser equivalent. The problem lies in that (as near as I can tell)
that account does not in fact have superuser rights. For instance,
when I do "shutdown -r now" it can't find the shutdown command.. Is
there something else I have to do (add a specific path?) in order to
give the account rights?

                Second question...

        (Running RedHat 5.2) What package do I install in order to get
the "make" command? all the makefiles are there, but when I do make
menuconf (for example) it doesn't recognize make as a command? I have
all the kernel packages installed.. headers, source, etc.. but can't
for the life of me configure it...

                Any help would be appreciated..

2. brainsoft@rogers.com

3. Quick question: can i install diffirent kernel headers to my Kernel version?

4. HP to DEC backspace key

5. Quick & easy way to compile a single kernel module?

6. Solaris Sparc v8 and VNC and CDE

7. I have a Quick Question, need quick answer.

8. lpr: still have 1MB limit?

9. Fast/Quick Steps to Re-compile the Linux Kernel

10. Re-direct all NewBies: Quick steps to re-compile linux kernel

11. quick question: when you install GNU software, what directory do you compile it in?

12. Quick Kernel verion question

13. Quick Kernel Question...