Best free software for university Linux package???

Best free software for university Linux package???

Post by Rick Forriste » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

As a part of my masters project in CS I'm putting together, integrating,
and (gulp) documenting a Common Computing Environment for students and
faculty.  The core of the package is Red Hat v3.0.3 (no distribution
wars, please - yes, I know about Debian) currently, and to that I'm
adding an fvwm2-based X configuration with all basic utilities.

Right now I'm trying to locate best (or reasonable facsimile) options
for freeware packages that support academic needs.  Some of the current
selections are:

1.  LyX                 document processing.
2.  SciLab              mathematical processing & display
3.  cobcy               COBOL translator for business & CS lang.
                        courses.
4.  GNAT                GNU Ada 95 - CS language courses.
5.  g77                 GNU FORTRAN 77 - CS, Engineering, etc.
6.  Postgres95          Relational database.

I'm still looking for the best option in a spreadsheet, etc., and
would appreciate suggestions for that.  Additionally, I'm looking
for references to software that supports chemistry, physics, admin-
istrative forms processing, and related usages.  Specialty areas
that you might have knowledge of would also be appreciated.

Again, the goal is a Linux distribution plus a scripted package of
software useful in the academic environment that will accompany the
distribution.  The goal includes a target of being as close to free
as is possible, since by the time these students pay tuition, books,
fees, rent, etc., many of them don't have a lot left.  Of course, the
other reason for "free" as a goal is to have the source code avail-
able to maximize the learning potential.

TIA

Rick Forrister

| "It is error alone which needs support of the government.  Truth |
| can stand by itself. (T. Jefferson)            Vote Libertarian! |

Post by Lorenzo Catuc » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Really, I feel your choices are very good (maybe that's because I use
some of them daily, and have no knowledge at all about the other ones...)
I think that you should try (and, if you feel so, add to the list) a
couple of algebra systems:
1. MuPAD, from math-ftp.uni-paderborn.de
2. Maxima, that should be a GPL version of MIT's Macsima, inasmuch as
I understood the announcement in the GNU's bullettin. If you try looking
for this package in prep.ai.mit.edu, you'll find a Maxima.README file,
telling to write someone to know how you could get the program; I wrote a
couple of days ago, but I got no answer; feel free to mail me, if you'll
be able to send me some news about this last program; to talk about
quality, it has been THE computer algebra package since the early '70s;
I read some good reviews a couple of years ago...

so goot, I think this is enough. Nice times to all my readers....

yours

lorenzo.

Best free software for university Linux package???

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: 1.  LyX                   document processing.

I'd also recommend auctex, which adds menus to emacs for editing (La)TeX
files.  I prefer to use it with XEmacs.  I can't seem to get into their
webpage right now (it's in Germany), but you can get to it from

http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Desktop_Publishing/TeX/

Quote:>: 2.  SciLab                mathematical processing & display

There's also MuPAD, which is comparable to Mathematica or Maple (though
nowhere near as slick) and Octave (Matlab like).

See

http://lusk1.mines.edu/hjjou/linux_old.html
http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml

for many more apps.