Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Stephen McInerne » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > Can any one tell me which brand/model of CD-Recorder can be used to burn
> > bootable CD-ROM and how to do it?

> > Is any usual CD-ROM reader can used to boot ( of course BIOS supported!)?

> Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
> current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

Yes there are bios's that allow booting from CDROM. Our brand spanking new
Digital HX Server comes with a CDROM that you boot off to then go on to
install the approprite server software. From memory it boots to DOS and the
choosing is done in a windows clone style menu.
The SCSI card that drives the CD is an Adaptec AHA-2940W (PCI). It's bios has
the options that choose CDROM booting.

How to burn these? sorry donno.

Steve

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Unknown Us » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
>current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

>That would be nice, since I wouldn't have to juggle with 2 or more
>boot floppies. One step closer to Mac and unix workstation advantages.

  As far as I know, MR BIOS (www.mrbios.com) will let you boot from a
cd-rom drive. It will also let you boot from a SCSI drive if you have
both SCSI and IDE drives on your system.

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Trever Mill » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
: current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

: That would be nice, since I wouldn't have to juggle with 2 or more
: boot floppies. One step closer to Mac and unix workstation advantages.

: Long disk names, accessing partitions with descriptive names,
: system debug prompt, etc. are still one of my wish list for the
: PC platform. How soon?

Add to that the ability to boot from TAPE... Bootable installable tapes
are a big plus in the workstation world when you have a hard drive crater...

--

Trying not to get sucked into the Global Information Mosh Pit...

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Tim Gle » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
> >current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

> >That would be nice, since I wouldn't have to juggle with 2 or more
> >boot floppies. One step closer to Mac and unix workstation advantages.

>   As far as I know, MR BIOS (www.mrbios.com) will let you boot from a
> cd-rom drive. It will also let you boot from a SCSI drive if you have
> both SCSI and IDE drives on your system.

I have worked with a couple of different Pentium motherboards with AmiBIOS
that allowed CD-ROM booting.

Tim

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Joseph LoCicero » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
: current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

I know that there is a standard from Phoenix called "El Torito" which
supports booting from CDROMs.  The new VS440FX motherboards from Intel
support this mode.  Check on Intel's pages for a pointer to the
Phoenix website where this standard is described.

--
- Joseph LoCicero, IV       | Grey is not the color I expected             -

- Think smarter, not harder | The eyes that hold the promise of perfection -
- Team OS/2--Use Warp!      | Will find the flaw that no one can erase...  -

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Chris Reynol » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> Can any one tell me which brand/model of CD-Recorder can be used to burn
>> bootable CD-ROM and how to do it?
>> Is any usual CD-ROM reader can used to boot ( of course BIOS supported!)?
>Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
>current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

Since nobody has answered your second question, NT 4.0 Beta 2
mentioned that it was bootable if the proper (Boot from CD BIOS) was
installed (I do not remember which BIOS that was).

Chris
Chris Reynolds - College of Computing, Georgia Tech - GTRI
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/chrisr

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Ray Van Hoog » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> > Can any one tell me which brand/model of CD-Recorder can be used to burn
>> > bootable CD-ROM and how to do it?

>> > Is any usual CD-ROM reader can used to boot ( of course BIOS supported!)?

>> Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
>> current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?
>Yes there are bios's that allow booting from CDROM. Our brand spanking new
>Digital HX Server comes with a CDROM that you boot off to then go on to
>install the approprite server software. From memory it boots to DOS and the
>choosing is done in a windows clone style menu.
>The SCSI card that drives the CD is an Adaptec AHA-2940W (PCI). It's bios has
>the options that choose CDROM booting.
>How to burn these? sorry donno.
>Steve

My Award bios-Triton MB has an option for booting from CD-ROM but I've
never had the opportunity to try it.  Sure would be nice to get Warp
on one of these.

Ray

Ray Van Hoogen

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Richard Jam » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Miller)Sat, 29 Jun 1996 17:35:11 GMT writes:
:>
:>: Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
:>: current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

I just upgraded the flash bios on my ASUS M/b (Award BIOS).... it shows CD ROM
as an option in the boot sequence.... haven't tried it yet....

Richard James                   Totally Warped with OS/2

Victoria, BC, Canada

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

        That would be nice, but what about _IDE_ CD-ROM's?

--Arthur

>: Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
>: current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?
>: That would be nice, since I wouldn't have to juggle with 2 or more
>: boot floppies. One step closer to Mac and unix workstation advantages.
>: Long disk names, accessing partitions with descriptive names,
>: system debug prompt, etc. are still one of my wish list for the
>: PC platform. How soon?
>Add to that the ability to boot from TAPE... Bootable installable tapes
>are a big plus in the workstation world when you have a hard drive crater...
>--

>Trying not to get sucked into the Global Information Mosh Pit...

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Marcel Hicki » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: Is there any BIOS that allows booting from a cdrom? Does any of the
>: current OS (for Intel PCs) cdroms allow booting from it?

Check out MRBIOS!
Additionally you can select ANY (E)IDE-Drive to be Drive 0 (C:) as
well as "boot from SCSI" no matter if IDE drives are attached.
MRBIOSalso "auto-detects" new IDE drives when booting without having
to jump into the bios and change drive types manually.
Boots much faster than Award-BIOS

MRBIOS ist shareware (no restrictions, no nags). $0 I think.
Availabled for most mainboard on the market

http://www.mrbios.com
(Look under "shareware")

Marcel

FOR ALL YOUR CREATURE COMFORTS - EMAIL ELECTRIC

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Prim » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

any CDR writer ought to be able to make a bootable CD ROM, it is a
question of the software being able to do it.  Most BIOSz dont support
booting off CDROM, but I have been running soem here for more then a
year that do.

Bootable CD-ROM

Post by Zivago L » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>any CDR writer ought to be able to make a bootable CD ROM, it is a
>question of the software being able to do it.  Most BIOSz dont support
>booting off CDROM, but I have been running soem here for more then a
>year that do.

The AMI BIOS on my Supermicro P55T2S can boot off a CDROM.

Zivago

1. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

Is using a bootable installation floppy any different than
booting installation disc 1?

I am trying to install Red Hat 8.0 on a Dell Latitude CPi laptop.
Red Hat 7.2 is already installed, but many things (e.g. suspend
to RAM or HD, K-mail, KDE Help) don't work.  I'm willing to
experiment with 8.0 to see if it's any better.

I've downloaded ISO images and burned installation discs 1, 2,
and 3.  The MD5SUM checksums on the downloaded files are correct,
and all three CDs pass the "linux mediacheck" at the boot prompt.
I've configured the BIOS to allow booting from the CD ROM.  Since
I get to the boot prompt, I'm assuming that's working correctly.
But, the installation process aborts after probing for hardware.

Here's essentially (not a cut and paste) what I get on the
screen:

Running anaconda
Probing for video - NeoMagic 128XD (laptop/notebook)
Probing for monitor - Unable to probe
Probing for mouse - Generic 3-button (PS/2)
Traceback (most recent call last)
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 480, in ?
    import xserver
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/xserver.py", line 27, in ?
    from snack import *
  File "/usb/lib/python2.2/site-packages/snack.py", line 7, in ?
    import _snack
ImportError: /usr/lib/libnewt.so.0.51: invalid ELF header
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals ... done
sending kill signals ... done
disabling swap ...
unmounting filesystems ...
  /mnt/runtime  done
  disabling /dev/loop0
  /proc/bus/usb  done
  /proc  done
  /dev/pts  done
  /mnt/source  done
you may safely reboot your system

I'm asking about a difference between using a floppy and a CD ROM
because for all of my past installations, I've created and used a
floppy, and the installation process was sometimes tiresome but
successful.  The only hardware change since the 7.2 installation
is the addition of 64 MB of RAM (bringing the total to 128 MB).
RH 7.2 worked before and after this change (noticeably faster
after).  When I used the floppy as the installation boot media, I
had the CD drive in a modular bay and the floppy drive connected
via cable.  When I used the CD ROM as the installation boot
media, I had the CD drive in the same modular bay, but no floppy
drive connected at all.

I'm making excellent backward progress.  I started with
RH 5.2.  After recompiling the kernel, suspend functions were
working.  I was dual-booting with Win NT at the time.  I decide
to eliminate the Win NT and use the entire HD for Linux.  I wiped
everything clean and started over by installing RH 7.2.  I've
never been able to get suspend functions to work under 7.2.  Now
with 8.0, I'm having difficulty even getting the system
installed.

--
A. Tsakiris

2. Crack won't run!

3. Bootable CD-ROM

4. Solaris slicing suggestion for setting a database server

5. How to make bootable CD-ROM?

6. Windows emulation was Re: Microsoft Invented Inferior Personal C

7. Creating a bootable CD-ROM ?

8. getting 2 network cards to work properly under suse5.3

9. bootable CD-ROM for old MCA machines

10. Linux Bootable CD-ROM

11. How do I build a bootable CD-ROM?

12. Bootable CD-ROM problem