Badblock on swap, I think; mkswap really done?

Badblock on swap, I think; mkswap really done?

Post by T. Peter Crave » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am rebuilding a kernel. My 386 /16 laptop usually takes 3 1/2 hours for
this, however, I commited the whole drive (61 megs, whew!) to linux this
time. I know there is a bad block in there where DOS used to reside
without problems. This is where the swap partition is now (5.5 megs).
 question: this rebuild is in its ninth hour. Do you think the swap
partition, though it claims to be on, is not? How can I tell the swap
partition to ignore that block in future? After the rebuild, can I delete
that swap partition and rewrite it without dealing with another rebuild?

Thank-you
Dennis C

1. Linux ate my DOS! (swap problem I think)

  This is probably my fault but I have no idea what I could have done
to cause it. My fstab has the swap partition set to  /dev/hda3. I have
been happily linuxing away for a couple weeks (on my most recent
installation), when on a recent reboot I received a message from swapon
that /dev/hda3 had an invalid swap signature. So I did a mkswap on the
partition again. All is fine and good. Several days later I tried to mount
my dos partition (/dev/hda1) and was promptly informed that it was the
wrong file type. On trying to boot this partition, the destruction of DOS
was confirmed (not necessarily a bad thing I know).

  I then remembered noticing that in the /dev directory there was a link
to /dev/hda1 called swap. I had never messed with it before so I chose to
leave it. (This installation was from SLS 1.02) Was this my critical
error? Should /dev/swap be a link to whatever the swap partition is?
If so, why doesn't this cause problems right away, and why didn't it ever
do this before? Inquiring minds would like to know 8^)

  Also, I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'm going to have to rebuild
the DOS partition. But before I start I'd really appreciate it if someone
could confirm my guess at the problem. I don't really use DOS often enough
to be positive that the two events (swap failure and DOS failure) were
actually related.

  Any and all advice appreciated.

        -Jason-

Jason LaPierre
Univerisity of Rochester

2. Red Hat 6 and /etc/issue

3. mkswap and swapon make swap, but it's not being used

4. Linux Networking Info Needed

5. mkswap, /etc/fstab and swapping questios

6. Tiny memory - how to load linux

7. How to show badblocks in swap partitions?

8. IBM 8514 monitor

9. MKSWAP killed my son's DOS partition -- HELP!!!

10. mkswap on main DOS/linux partition: big Boo ?

11. did mkswap on DOS partition, can I recover?

12. recovering dos-partition from mkswap

13. linux mkswap trashes DOS partition