Who is actually running Linux on IBM MOdel 80 PS2?

Who is actually running Linux on IBM MOdel 80 PS2?

Post by Bob Ke » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

After 10 years of AIX, it may be time for an update on my aging PS/2
model 80 servers.  I would like to hear from anyone actually using
Linux MCA ON IBM PS/2 model 80 machines with scsi or esdi controllers.
In particular what exact bootdisks and distributions are you using,
and where can I find them to make up a set of my own.  Please, only
those folks actually running these machines respond.  I have tried
many MCA disks, and they are all problematic.  I would like to find
out what actually works on particular Model 80 machines.

Thanks

Bob Keys

Who is actually running Linux on IBM MOdel 80 PS2?

Post by Frank McKenn » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>After 10 years of AIX, it may be time for an update on my aging PS/2
>model 80 servers.  I would like to hear from anyone actually using
>Linux MCA ON IBM PS/2 model 80 machines with scsi or esdi controllers.
>In particular what exact bootdisks and distributions are you using,
>and where can I find them to make up a set of my own.  Please, only
>those folks actually running these machines respond.  I have tried
>many MCA disks, and they are all problematic.  I would like to find
>out what actually works on particular Model 80 machines.

Bob,

You might to post a copy of this to the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
newsgroup.  Perhaps not as many Linux users, but _lots_ of PS/2 people
(some may seem a litte strage at first, but most are fairly nice (;-)).

For others who are thinking about installing Linux on PS/2s, the
following URLs have been mentioned recently in that group:

    MicroChannel Linux Home Page
    http://www.veryComputer.com/

    Linux on MCA / MCA (MicroChannel) discussion groups
    http://www.veryComputer.com/

    http://www.veryComputer.com/~swadlow/ps2linux/instruct.html

I'm sure that DejaNews or AltaVista could turn up others.

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates / OS2BBS OS/2 Advisor
Richmond, *ia   (804) 320-4887

1. IBM PS2 model 80, trying to install Slackware.

Dear everyone,

I have a IBM PS/2 model 80 (386, 16 Mhz), with 3 SCSI 305 MB hardisks, on a
original IBM SCSI card. There are 2 diskdrives in it. (I also tried it with
1). There are  2 memory expansion board in it. On board is 4 Mb of memory.
Total memory is 28 Mb. Besides the cards I mentioned, there is an IBM
tokenring card (long type) in it. I tried to install Slackware Linux. When I
start with the LILO boot disk, it works,but when it asks for the boot disk
and tries to load it in to memory (ramdisk) the diskdrive gives a .time out
error.

Is there someone who's has experienced this problem before, and can tell me
how to solve this problem ? I would be helped if anyone has a solution.
Please react !!!!

2. Dialin problems ('No utmpx entry')

3. HELP - PS2 Model 80

4. Where is signal ?

5. ps2 model 80

6. Tripwire 1.3 and Y2K

7. mouse on IBM PS/2 model 80 not working with Linux?

8. Linux Cluster Rendering for Maya

9. Linux on MCA-bus, IBM Server model 80?

10. Anyone ever get an MCA PS/2 Model 80 up running Linux?

11. non-IBM drives in PS/2 Model 80

12. IBM PS/2 model 80 FDD on 486 MB ?

13. IBM Model 80 MCA ESDI errors