NFS Speed with linux

Post by Adrian Wallasch » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

Just a short simple question
What are the maximum transfer speed encountered with linux and nfs or ftp?

As a suggestion I'd encourage you to take a file bigger
then 5-10 MB read and write it via nfs or ftp and take the time!

Furthoremore you should tell me between what configurations and lan-cards you transfer!

If the amount of data arriving here is appriate for summarizing, I'll do so !

Regards,
  prefect

Please excuse some typos due to language and bothering slip-line (1 char per second or so !)

NFS Speed with linux

Post by James L. McGi » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Hi!

>Just a short simple question
>What are the maximum transfer speed encountered with linux and nfs or ftp?

I would like to see a comparison between Linux NFS and FreeBSD NFS.

I believe that FreeBSD's NFS will be about 10x Linux on writes,
about 2x on reads.

I hope this proves to be backwards (linux beats bsd);

d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[ http://www.conservatory.com/~fishbowl ]-----l-i-g-h-t
"Never underestimate the power of a small tactical nuclear weapon."

1. NFS speed issues (linux & Next)

I am wondering about how to properly configure NFS on my blackbox Nexts
which are running in a mixed Unix environment.  I just performed the
following test which leads me to believe that it is in fact an NFS
issue:

On the machines presto (Linux)  and klang (Next):

1)  FTP a 9 meg file from presto (Linux box) to my Mac here.  Time:
1min.
2)  Copy the same file from /tmp (mounted on presto) to /home/djt7p
(mounted on klang).   Time:  10min+.
3)  FTP the same file from klang (Next) to this Mac.  Time:  1 min.

I invite any and all comments.

Thanks,

DT
--
David Topper
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music

2. Really low bandwidth networking

3. Continued NFS speed problems Linux<->Next

4. Linux/i386 boot protocol version 2.03

5. Speed..Speed..Speed

6. problem with putenv()

7. CDU-33A: Dbl Speed in DOS, Single Speed in Linux!!??

8. cdr

9. Cont'd: nfs speed

10. nfs speed improvements, anyone?

11. Speed of Kernel NFS