Dump thinks 8GB drive is 180k

Post by Thomas J. Bil » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I compiled dump and restore last night but when I went to dump 160meg
to my 8GB DAT drive it asked for a second volume and it estimated 4
volumes to complete the session.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Dump thinks 8GB drive is 180k

Post by Dave Per » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I compiled dump and restore last night but when I went to dump 160meg
>to my 8GB DAT drive it asked for a second volume and it estimated 4
>volumes to complete the session.
>Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Yes.  You have to tell dump that since you have a tape drive manufactured this century
it might be capable of holding more than 40MB.  Specify the capacity explicitly.  i.e.
on my 2GB DAT I use

        /sbin/dump 0ufB /dev/nrmt0 2000000 /
--

Gandalf Data Limited      TEL 1-613-723-6500 x8765
Nepean, Ontario, Canada   FAX 1-613-226-1717             Soren Kierkegaard says

1. FreeBSD with >8GB drives where BIOS is restricted to <8GB

I've recently installed FreeBSD-4.3 onto an older system here that I've put
together for just this task. I'm finding that I probably want more disk
space than I currently have (~4.5GBs between two drives), and am considering
upgrading my Windows 2000 desktop with a new HD and shifting my 30GB into
the FreeBSD machine. However, the BIOS in the FreeBSD system limits me to
8GB hard drives. Is there an easy workaround for this? If it makes any
difference, I haven't decided whether I would need this drive to be
bootable, or just use it for storage space.

My apologies if this has been covered in the FAQ or elsewhere (I've looked
and haven't found anything), and thanks in advance for any help you can
provide.

Thanks,
Matt

2. problem with "save workspace": follow-up the previous posting

3. Using large 72.8GB drives vs. typical 9.1GB drives in 7133-D40

4. Simple binary check

5. raid-1 8GB with a 8GB, 4GB and 40 GB harddisks

6. Q:Sort on data file (w/o newline)?

7. dump says 8GB dat is < 180meg

8. linux installation

9. Dumping with Travan 8Gb tapes

10. :~( i think am gonna cry 5GB mp3es gone

11. Is it as bad as I think . . . or am I just paranoid?

12. I think I am in deep brown sticky stuff

13. I'm not as think as you drunk I am