Linux - innit great?

Post by John M D » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Many moons I've been happily using Linux. I currently have an uptime of about 70 days without a
reboot. Which other OS has technical support *free* like that provided by the kind sould of
these newsgroups.

wha's like us?
*Der alte Sturm, die alte Muh'!        *  Wagneria & Sinclairia & Lizards  *
*Doch stand muss ich hier halten!-Wotan*  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jmd *

Linux - innit great?

Post by Mr. Bassma » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Many moons I've been happily using Linux. I currently have an uptime of about 70 days without a
> reboot. Which other OS has technical support *free* like that provided by the kind souls of
> these newsgroups.

> wha's like us?
> --
> *Der alte Sturm, die alte Muh'!        *  Wagneria & Sinclairia & Lizards  *
> *Doch stand muss ich hier halten!-Wotan*  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jmd *

        Well - Windows is.  Ooops.  No it isn't.  The Mac then.  Hang
on, it's not that either.  Maybe it was HP-UX.  Yeah that was it.
That's real cool.  (I'm not really allowed to say otherwise.. ahem.)
Ok - maybe it was Solaris...  maybe not.  Perhaps.........

                        Mr. Bassman

"MS darfsh der Haase gebe"

1. SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

Hello:

I'm running Linux on a PC with Windows 95--in which LILO's set to kick up
Win95 first, and I use loadlin from the OS to start up Linux. I have a
Soundblaster card (CT2290)--16 bit--for which the IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM is
attached to the card.

The CD-ROM is detected and works fine. But in wanting to have sound for
RealAudio, etc., I picked up both the SOUND-HOWTO and the  KERNEL-HOWTO
guides and read them carefully. I've redone the configuration via make
config, and I even ran the soundscript and checked the settings in
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp. But when I rebooted, no dice.

And prior to this, the kernel was done via make config-->make dep-->make
clean-->make zlilo. Upon sucessful completion, I ran the soundscript,
and then rebooted. After loadlin via Win95 ran, the boot process showed
no visible reference that the sound card (snd) was detected. Then I ran
both "cat <sound> > /dev/blah...then ended up with "no device found."
Same with "cat /dev/sndstat."

I have done the configuration both according to the settings I used in
Win95 (by looking in the Device Managers) and then the default settings
via the technical documentation on Creative Lab's web site. Still, I'm at
a loss.

I have installed Linux via Slackware 96. Any hints or ideas would be
quite helpful. Please let me know via private e-mail. Thanks.

Here's part of the config:

CONFIG FROM /etc/soundconf
#define CONFIG_SB
#define CONFIG_AUDIO
#define CONFIG_MIDI
#define CONFIG_YM3812

#undef  CONFIG_MPU_EMU
#undef  CONFIG_AD1848
#define CONFIG_SEQUENCER

#define SBC_BASE 0x220
#define SBC_IRQ 5
#define SBC_DMA 1
#define SB_DMA2 5
#define SB_MPU_BASE 0x1
#define SB_MPU_IRQ 1
#define DSP_BUFFSIZE 65536
#define SELECTED_SOUND_OPTIONS  0x00a80002

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

    V   E   L   A   N   C   H   E               S   T   E   W   A   R   T
                   California Polytechnic State University
                         San Luis Obispo, California

                      http://www.calpoly.edu/~vstewart

2. can ipchains mirror ??

3. GREAT JOBS-GREAT PAY" WVT"

4. STL in shared libraries

5. Great Health Products at Great Prices!!!!

6. courier-imap/maildrop now doing proper fsync'ing

7. *Great Service, All prices, Great Uptime For Bnc, Eggdrop, IRCd, Game & Web Hosting **

8. changing the runlevel

9. FS:Great 486 Linux boxes cheap

10. (linux != HP9.0 UX ? great : help)

11. 'Crazy' idea for a great addition to Linux: the "Star Trek" interface

12. linux works great, now i want to MOVE it to a NEW HARD DRIVE????

13. Linux is Great!!!