3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by Support Dep » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all:
> I have a quick question about the driver support for the 3c905B
>10/100TX ethernet card. The latest 3c59x driver seems to recognize it
>(the one in RedHat 5.1 distribution). Is this the right way to go? Was
>the 3c59x driver updated to recognize and support the 3c905B, or do I
>need to go out and grab a new driver.

The driver with the distribution would recognize the card, but it just
wouldn't work.  I got the slightly newer  c module code thingie from the nasa
site and it works fine.  I even got 100 and full duplex by putting in the
conf.modules:

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x full_duplex=1 options=1 debug=0

I hope this helps,
Steve

--
http://www.sellcom.com
Telecommunications and internet networking hardware

3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by leica » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi all:
> > I have a quick question about the driver support for the 3c905B
> >10/100TX ethernet card. The latest 3c59x driver seems to recognize it
> >(the one in RedHat 5.1 distribution). Is this the right way to go? Was
> >the 3c59x driver updated to recognize and support the 3c905B, or do I
> >need to go out and grab a new driver.

> The driver with the distribution would recognize the card, but it just
> wouldn't work.  I got the slightly newer  c module code thingie from the nasa
> site and it works fine.  I even got 100 and full duplex by putting in the
> conf.modules:

> alias eth0 3c59x
> options 3c59x full_duplex=1 options=1 debug=0

> I hope this helps,
> Steve

The date of 3c59x.c with RedHat 5.1 is 5/12/98.
Is there another newer version of this file?

3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by Support Dep » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>the 3c59x driver bundled w/ redhat 5.0  works for my 3c905-tx, no
>problem.

Yes, but if you get a 3c905B....

Steve
--

Post by Zdravko Balor » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: >the 3c59x driver bundled w/ redhat 5.0  works for my 3c905-tx, no
: >problem.

: Yes, but if you get a 3c905B....

Yes, what? I have 3c509B, too. It doesn't work. ifconfig says
it may be transmitting packets, but Rx packet number is 0.
I am trying for a week now to make a bridge with two cards.
the old one 3c509 is ok, but the new one: i can't seem to get
it running. Even the little green LED near RJ jack goes OFF
when iconfig up is issued. Shouldn't it be ON?

Please help. This is driving me nuts. Zdravko.

3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by Zdravko Balor » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: : >the 3c59x driver bundled w/ redhat 5.0  works for my 3c905-tx, no
: : >problem.

: : Yes, but if you get a 3c905B....

: Yes, what? I have 3c509B, too. It doesn't work. ifconfig says
: it may be transmitting packets, but Rx packet number is 0.
: I am trying for a week now to make a bridge with two cards.
: the old one 3c509 is ok, but the new one: i can't seem to get
: it running. Even the little green LED near RJ jack goes OFF
: when iconfig up is issued. Shouldn't it be ON?

: Please help. This is driving me nuts. Zdravko.

And yes, of course: Slackware 3.2, linux 2.0.29!

3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by Support Dep » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Yes, what? I have 3c509B, too. It doesn't work. ifconfig says
>it may be transmitting packets, but Rx packet number is 0.
>I am trying for a week now to make a bridge with two cards.
>the old one 3c509 is ok, but the new one: i can't seem to get
>it running. Even the little green LED near RJ jack goes OFF
>when iconfig up is issued. Shouldn't it be ON?

>Please help. This is driving me nuts. Zdravko.

You just need the updated driver.  Here is the url where you can get it.

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

I have it working here 100 and full duplex

Steve
--
http://www.sellcom.com
Telecommunications and internet networking hardware
Free quotes for internet access and hosting
Cyclades / STB Com Cards / AT&T Data line surge protection
Free working demo of Crisp http://www.sellcom.com/crisp/demoall.htm

3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

Post by Edward Siewic » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>Yes, what? I have 3c509B, too. It doesn't work. ifconfig says
>>it may be transmitting packets, but Rx packet number is 0.
>>I am trying for a week now to make a bridge with two cards.
>>the old one 3c509 is ok, but the new one: i can't seem to get
>>it running. Even the little green LED near RJ jack goes OFF
>>when iconfig up is issued. Shouldn't it be ON?

>>Please help. This is driving me nuts. Zdravko.
> You just need the updated driver.  Here is the url where you can get it.
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> I have it working here 100 and full duplex

Quote:>Do you have the latest code and do you have things turned on in
>conf.modules?  You have to enable full_duplex=1 options=1 I believe it
>is....

Thanks for the clues.  I just ran

insmod -v -f -s /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/3c59x.o full_duplex=1 options=1

Into syslog popped:
winnie kernel: Media override to tranceiver type 1 (10Mbs AUI))

And the connection is finally 100baseTx.  Apparently, 3c59x.c autodetects
this card as having an 10baseT connection, and to force it to 100baseTx you
have to force it to 10Mbs AUI, a feature that doesn't physically exist on
the card???  Yikes!  I'll try it on the 2.0.34 machines shortly.

Where did you find these details?  We've got the current code from the
NASA/Goddard site:

static char *version =
"3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker
http://www.veryComputer.com/\n";

I'll post this to a few newsgroups as there are folks thrashing around for
this information in at least three languages.

Edward
--
  ESiewick.a.DigiPro com             DigiPro Digital Productions, LLC
  Voice:  703-522-8465                   3100 North Quincy Street

1. 3C905B plus 3C509B on RedHat 5.1

I am setting up a small Pentium box with an Asus P55T2P4 board as a firewall. I
have a 3Com 3C509B ISA card (non-PnP) that has AUI and TP connectors. I have
used this card under Win95/NT successfully in the past, and it is configured
under DOS to IRQ 10, I/O 210. I also have a 3Com 3C905B fast Etherlink XL card.
When I installed RedHat 5.1, the 3C905B card was recognized and the Vortex
driver installed, but nothing seemed to happen for the 3C509B card. Should both
have been recognized at install time? How do I add support for the second card?

--
  Erik Tkal

  "Out the token ring, through the router, down the fiber, off
  a switch, past the firewall, down the T1 ... nothing but Net."

2. directory listings

3. BIG PROBLEM FOR 3COM 3C905B ON REDHAT 5.1

4. Sparc ABI needed

5. DHCP 3C905B RedHat 5.1

6. COLA FAQ 7 of 7 13-Sep-2002

7. How to enable 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC in Redhat 5.1?

8. sendmail error: host name look up - where else to look for fix?

9. Redhat 5.1 and 3Com 3c905B NIC

10. Redhat 5.1 and 3c905b

11. 3c905B w/ RedHat 5.1

12. RH 5.1 with 3c905B TX NIC card