need help with the hosts.lpd file

Post by Daddy Rabb » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

What little I've been able to find about remote printing speaks of a
hosts.lpd in which you put trusted hosts who will allow access to the
attached printer. I have checked the host where the printer is
attached as well as the one I'm trying to set up to print remotely and
neither has a hosts.ipd file. I created one and used the same format
as the hosts files <ip domain alias> but it does not work.

I'm using Redhat 5.1 distribution on both machines and used the
printtool to install and configure the printer.

BTW: How do you turn off that stupid pager <I think that's what it's
called> running in the lower right hand corner of the xwindow screen?

1. lpd ignoring the hosts.lpd file ???

Hi Anyone,

I've got a problem with lpd.  My set up is a main computer and a LAN to
a diskless workstation which boots via bootp/tftp then NFS mounts its
root off a subdirectory on my main machine dedicated to it and NFS
mounts the usual /usr/bin /usr/sbin type directories so binaries aren't
duplicated unneccessarily.  Diskless workstation has simple old line
printer attached.  Most everything runs fine on it (X, etc., ftp client
and server, telnet client and server, mail, doom) and once I set lpd
running in the startup, lpr commands worked fine.

However can't print from main computer to this printer attached to the
diskless workstation.  It seems to be a privilege problem as when I
queue jobs they just sit there and any lpq command brings back an error
about "dlworks: lpr: lp: your host is not authorised on this machine",
yet hosts.lpd contains perfectly good entries which work fine in the
corresponding file, hosts.allow, to let ftp services work.  What's more
the printcap entry on the diskless workstation doesn't contain the rs
field.

Howto's and man pages are of no further use.

Anyone got any clues?

2. TRINITYOS firewall script

3. Need example of the hosts.lpd file

4. The future of linux??

5. hosts.lpd file entry for unrestricted access?

6. BUG: Current 2.5-BK tree dies on boot!

7. hosts.lpd file doesn't understand *, what can I do ?

8. Ultimedia services

9. Writting hosts.equiv/hosts.lpd files

10. *hosts.lpd & hosts.equiv

11. remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

12. Spooler files meaning and lpd job percentage accomplished [NEED HELP]

13. need hosts for hosts file