Printing to remote printer (HP Deskjet 560C) on WFWG box from Linux

Printing to remote printer (HP Deskjet 560C) on WFWG box from Linux

Post by Tony Melende » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Greetings,
        I have been trying to get my printing services up and running
and have been running into trouble every time. I have a WFWG 3.11 box
hooked-up to my Linux box via ethernet (TCP/IP) and have my HP DeskJet
560C hooked up to my WFWG box's LPT1 port. I also have eXceed 4.1 run-
ning on my WFWG box and its LPD software running. It is set to "Print
raw data to Default Printer".
        I also tried setting up apsfilter 2.3 which I downloaded from
ftp.Germany.EU.Net. I used its setup utility and it asked me questions
on which kind of printer I had, etc..., etc... . I chose the cdj550
driver and also just hit enter when it asked which port my printer was
hooked up to (/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, etc..). It then proceeded to edit my
/etc/printcap file and added all these different printcap settings. I
then edited the entries, adding rm= and rp= lines. I tried using these new
settings but to no avail. I tried printing postscript, text, and dvi but
all I get from text and dvi are 1 line printouts and garbage for PS.
What am I doing wrong? Could somebody please help me out? Any help would
really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post by Alex Korob » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

: ... /etc/printcap file and added all these different printcap settings. I
: then edited the entries, adding rm= and rp= lines. I tried using these new
: settings but to no avail. I tried printing postscript, text, and dvi but
: all I get from text and dvi are 1 line printouts and garbage for PS.

  From Printing-HOWTO:

... To print on the printer listed as `foo' in the printcap on machine
   `bar.baz.net' from the machine `mine.baz.net' you put an entry like
    this in your `/etc/printcap' (on `mine.baz.net'):

         foo:lp=:rm=bar.baz.net:rp=foo:sd=/usr/lpd/spool/foo:

    and, of course, create the spool directory `/usr/lpd/spool/foo'.

    There's no point specifying filters and the like in < !!!!!!!
   `mine.baz.net:/etc/printcap' as it's the ones in     < !!!!!!!
   `bar.baz.net:/etc/printcap' that will get used.      < !!!!!!! ....

So, you need to configure lpd on your WfW machine.

Alex